Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Order of importance of gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Default Order of importance of gear

Hi everyone,

I new to this forum and also a new rider. I am wondering how you guy/girls would rank all the protective gear (helmet, jacket, boots, etc...) from most important to least important. I am curious to see your opinions and also I am short on cash and will buy each piece of protective gear one at a time. Thanks in advance.

-Tom

Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

well here goes but this is just my opinion every one knows i ride around on bald tires doing bad things

1)helmet
2)gloves
3)under armor field vest
4)jacket

Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Road Kill is on target on the "Top 4." I would probably add some boots with ankle (at minimum) protection. I have some well-used Teknic (sp?) sport boots with the ankle, toe, and shin protection. Have a set of SIDI's, too.
Get in the habit of ALWAYS wearing your gear when you ride; especially a helmet. You'll feel weird if you ride without it. That's a good thing.
Welcome to the forums, One.
Gear up; stay safe.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmm well I would place them in this order.

Helmet
Safety class
helmet
boots
gloves
experience

Yea helmet twice for emphasis.

Oh and insurance...even if your state doesn't require it.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

And welcome to the forums.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Helmet, jacket, gloves and boots (preferably full length)are mandatory. You can then get started learning your ride and obtain and read up on more bike related leathers, boots, gloves that you have read up on. Or even decide to give up bikes altogether. Stay within your limits and enjoy.

Welcome to KF

Old 09-16-2009, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to K.F. ^^^^What they said^^^^^

Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 AM

Thanks for the advice! So far I have a helmet and I just got gloves yesterday. I guess my next item will be the jacket!!

Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Helmet is essential. Never ride without one. I split a helmet in half once at almost zero speed when the back of my head came down on the edge of a kerb stone. The helmet was the difference between not even a headache and death.

For the rest, hands and ankles are very vulnerable to losing strips of skin in a very minor low speed spill, and the ankle is prone to being badly sprained. Even losing a very small strip of skin hurts like hell and can be very disabling until it heals - usually about three weeks. A jacket, with impact armour, gives some protection to the elbows and shoulders and will prevent skin loss from the torso and, providing the jacket is a sensible length, the hips. A built in back protector will save a lot of bruising, but probably won't prevent a broken back in a serious accident. You should never ride without all of these items.

A textile jacket offers the same protection as leather - the difference is that you can usually wear leathers again where a textile jacket is toast - and textile is more waterproof, cooler in hot weather and generally more comfortable and convenient. You usually get a lot more pockets as well, which is very useful.

Legs are less vulnerable, although the knee can lose some skin. I dont wear leg protection (good boots protect the lower leg and shin) except for waterproofs in the rain, but there is an element of risk that I'm willing to accept. I am looking at Kevlar jeans that I can wear all day in the office, but If you must leave off one item of protective clothing, than the pants are that one item.

Rob

Old 09-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i say
1. bright green helmet hawk
2. icon back protector
3.flip flops
4. tank top n shorts

Quick Reply: Order of importance of gear