Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Offroad Boots

Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 PM
ZAZ
1st Gear Member
Default Offroad Boots

So I picked up a pair of Tech3 mx boots yesterday and I think I'll be returning them today. I have been wearing them around the house to start breaking them in and they already make my feet sore because they scrunch my feet. The next size up is a bit too big though. I'm going to have to decide if I will exchange these and compromise fit or return them and try my luck with ordering boots online.

Any suggestions? I have wide feet with high arches. I don't ride super aggressive so I don't need super duper hurking boots or anything like that. My price range is around $300 but I'll wiggle a little bit if I get my moneys worth.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I've always liked the looks (and variety) of the Gaerne boots. Quite a few on ebay right now, in a range of prices.
Having said that, I have an old, old pair of Sidi's. They go well with my old, old, Husky. (...and this old, old, dude wearing them.)

Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 AM
ZAZ
1st Gear Member

Ironically I was leaning towards some Gaerne boots. I have heard they run wide but I have not tried any on. I don't understand how boots that cost this much don't come in wide sizes. I swapped out my 10s for 11s but now I'm swimming in them. The ankle is super sloppy, so they probably wont protect me right and the toes are still narrow. Its foolishness....

I am also starting to agree with the "old timers" that these plastic mx boots are not really made for the real world. I cant even put me feet on the ground in them since I cant bend my ankle. I had to turn around in the middle of a single track the other day and I'm glad I was wearing army boots rather than these monsters. Also, again since I cant bend my ankle, my toes point like straight down off the pegs. How is that safer? I'm going to snag my toes in these giant boots and blow out my knee. I think I'm just going to buy a pair of redwings line boots. and wear shin guards.