Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Off-Road Knee & Shin Protection - Answer Alpha / MSR Reflex

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Off-Road Knee & Shin Protection - Answer Alpha / MSR Reflex

I've been looking around for a little more off-road protection than just a good pair of MX boots and pants, and this is what I came up with:

They're both basically the same thing, except I think the MSR Reflex cosmetics look better. (The Answser Alphas are not shown with the straps.)

I haven't ridden with them yet, but they feel really comfortable and secure ... a lot better than most of the ones I've tried on. I took my bike for a "make-believe spin", and the larger straps let me get a good grip on the tank with my knees without having the guards shift around or twist off my knees. The shin protection is very slim and fits comfortably inside my boots, too. I might have to trim a 1/2" off the bottom edge (or add a littlefoam between the outer shell and the inner padding), but that's due to my boney shins more than a problem with the guards themselves.

A couple drop teststo my knees turned out positive,except for once whenI feel a sharper edge through the padding on one side. It was the bottom edge of the floating knee cup.Snugging up the straps seemed to keep things more where they should be. There's supposed to be a "memory foam" component in there, but I can't tell how that's going to affect things after just wearing them an hour or so.

Construction and quality seems to be very good - sturdy material, tight seams, clean fit & finish. Thequick disconnect buckles look thin, but not flimsy. They're designed for easy on / easy off, once you've got your Velcro straps sorted out just right. It looks like the only way they would break is if you had a sharp branch or rock poke you directly on top of them. The shell, straps, buckles, and hinges are all pretty smooth, so there's no edges to snag on your pants.

I've been shopping around and trying on lots of different brands and styles since last Fall (hoping togive Sanata a few clues for Christmas ), and haven't really found anything with a decent fit that's comfortable and looks like it offers real protection. This style is new for 2007 and immediately caught my eye when I first saw it.Although I haven't been out in the real world with them, I really like them a lot, and don't think that I'll be changing my opinion.

I gotthe Answer Alphafrom BikeBastards (www.bikebandit.com) for $58.46 (they don't carry the MSR Reflex [:-]).

I'll try and remember to post an updateafter I go out with them on my bike for real!

Mike