Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Which GPS to get?

  #1  
Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 PM
BleednGreen68's Avatar
Senior Member
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eudora, KS
Posts: 514
Default Which GPS to get?

Im in the market for a GPS unit for my bike. I want a durable unit since I will be usin it on my klx. Any suggestions on which one to get? I will be doin a lot of trails in Colorado so maps that will do those trails up there are a must.
 
  #2  
Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Dragone#19's Avatar
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Silver State
Posts: 18,136
Default

where is gogo gadget deej at? sheesh
 
  #3  
Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 PM
jeffzx9's Avatar
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Clarksville, OH
Posts: 3,350
Default

I would say get one you can download updates to, AND one you can buy an Otterbox or other heavy duty functional case for. Probably wouldn't spend a ton on it, if it's a dedicated beater. My two cents...
I bet Deejer can point you in the right direction.
 
  #4  
Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 PM
deej's Avatar
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 21,045
Default

Originally Posted by Dragone#19 View Post
where is gogo gadget deej at? sheesh
Hahahaha...wait I can't be Mr Clean and gogo gadget at the same time, so putting down my cleaning rag, I'll chime in here.

Ok in this picture you can see an IPhone on the left, a Garmin 60CSx in the middle and then a Garmin Nuvi on the right. As far as the KLX riding, All I use is the 60, and its awesome. You can make routes and follow them, geocache downloads are cool so they just show up and you can stop for one if you want to. Its water proof and the buttons are really easy to use. The antenna is a higher power than the old one I had, in fact in tree canopy areas it rarely has issues. I had a Garmin Etrex last year and it got fried because I tried to wire it straight to the 12 power fogetting that the cig plug on the cable takes it from 12 down to like 5, lesson learned. DOH!

Name:  P6260832.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  80.7 KB
 
  #5  
Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Member
1st Gear Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spacecoast, Florida
Posts: 58
Default Gps

Garmin GPS 76CX at West Marine for $150.

Same software as 60CX.

Waterproof, works great. Around 24 hrs on 2 AA cells. I do not even hook it up to onboard power. Just carry a few extra AA bats.

You do need to add a $80 map - City Navigator as the included maps are poor at best.

So it is more like $230
 
  #6  
Old 03-17-2012, 01:13 AM
BleednGreen68's Avatar
Senior Member
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eudora, KS
Posts: 514
Default

Originally Posted by jeffzx9 View Post
I would say get one you can download updates to, AND one you can buy an Otterbox or other heavy duty functional case for. Probably wouldn't spend a ton on it, if it's a dedicated beater. My two cents...
I bet Deejer can point you in the right direction.
Thanks Jeff! Yea im all about gettin good cases. I have a lifeproof for my iphone 4s and love it! Totally water proof. Has o'rings everywhere. Highly recommended. I assume most or all GPS units have downloadable maps?
 
  #7  
Old 03-17-2012, 01:17 AM
BleednGreen68's Avatar
Senior Member
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eudora, KS
Posts: 514
Default

Originally Posted by deej View Post
Hahahaha...wait I can't be Mr Clean and gogo gadget at the same time, so putting down my cleaning rag, I'll chime in here.

Ok in this picture you can see an IPhone on the left, a Garmin 60CSx in the middle and then a Garmin Nuvi on the right. As far as the KLX riding, All I use is the 60, and its awesome. You can make routes and follow them, geocache downloads are cool so they just show up and you can stop for one if you want to. Its water proof and the buttons are really easy to use. The antenna is a higher power than the old one I had, in fact in tree canopy areas it rarely has issues. I had a Garmin Etrex last year and it got fried because I tried to wire it straight to the 12 power fogetting that the cig plug on the cable takes it from 12 down to like 5, lesson learned. DOH!

Ok GPS master, is the 60 more durable in dusty conditions than the nuvi?? Is that why you use it then? I installed a 12v cig lighter port, can I still plug it into that if needed or will I fry it???
 
  #8  
Old 03-17-2012, 01:18 AM
BleednGreen68's Avatar
Senior Member
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eudora, KS
Posts: 514
Default

Originally Posted by EZman250 View Post
Garmin GPS 76CX at West Marine for $150.

Same software as 60CX.

Waterproof, works great. Around 24 hrs on 2 AA cells. I do not even hook it up to onboard power. Just carry a few extra AA bats.

You do need to add a $80 map - City Navigator as the included maps are poor at best.

So it is more like $230
Im assuming Garmin is the way to go? Seems everyone is usin them. i want somethin easy to use and has lots of accessories. Seems the RAM mount is also the way to go?
 
  #9  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 AM
BleednGreen68's Avatar
Senior Member
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eudora, KS
Posts: 514
Default

Well today at cabelas I bought the Garmin Oregon 450T. It was on sale and couldnt pass it up. Its the topo edition with the topo maps already on it. It also seems to do street addresses too? I dont know how good this feature is on it but it showed all the streets around my house. I just thought it was a topo gps unit. Anyone else have this unit? How do you like it? I also bought the RAM mount for it too off ebay.
 
  #10  
Old 05-20-2012, 04:03 PM
deej's Avatar
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 21,045
Default

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68 View Post
Ok GPS master, is the 60 more durable in dusty conditions than the nuvi?? Is that why you use it then? I installed a 12v cig lighter port, can I still plug it into that if needed or will I fry it???
Oh yeah the 60 is dust and water proof, the nuvi is made for the family car, I would never use in dusty or wet conditions. I keep a ziplock bad and a rubber band in my tank bag in case it gets wet out while riding the big road bike, but again I only use the 60 off road.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which GPS to get?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.