Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   Gear Section (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/gear-section-76/)
-   -   Which GPS to get? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/gear-section-76/gps-get-37459/)

BleednGreen68 03-16-2012 05:03 PM

Which GPS to get?

Im in the market for a GPS unit for my bike. I want a durable unit since I will be usin it on my klx. Any suggestions on which one to get? I will be doin a lot of trails in Colorado so maps that will do those trails up there are a must.

Dragone#19 03-16-2012 05:13 PM

where is gogo gadget deej at? sheesh

jeffzx9 03-16-2012 07:31 PM

I would say get one you can download updates to, AND one you can buy an Otterbox or other heavy duty functional case for. Probably wouldn't spend a ton on it, if it's a dedicated beater. My two cents...
I bet Deejer can point you in the right direction.

deej 03-16-2012 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dragone#19 (Post 466475)
where is gogo gadget deej at? sheesh

Hahahaha...wait I can't be Mr Clean and gogo gadget at the same time, so putting down my cleaning rag, I'll chime in here. :p

Ok in this picture you can see an IPhone on the left, a Garmin 60CSx in the middle and then a Garmin Nuvi on the right. As far as the KLX riding, All I use is the 60, and its awesome. You can make routes and follow them, geocache downloads are cool so they just show up and you can stop for one if you want to. Its water proof and the buttons are really easy to use. The antenna is a higher power than the old one I had, in fact in tree canopy areas it rarely has issues. I had a Garmin Etrex last year and it got fried because I tried to wire it straight to the 12 power fogetting that the cig plug on the cable takes it from 12 down to like 5, lesson learned. DOH!

Attachment 12855

EZman250 03-16-2012 11:42 PM

Gps

Garmin GPS 76CX at West Marine for $150.

Same software as 60CX.

Waterproof, works great. Around 24 hrs on 2 AA cells. I do not even hook it up to onboard power. Just carry a few extra AA bats.

You do need to add a $80 map - City Navigator as the included maps are poor at best.

So it is more like $230

BleednGreen68 03-17-2012 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by jeffzx9 (Post 466499)
I would say get one you can download updates to, AND one you can buy an Otterbox or other heavy duty functional case for. Probably wouldn't spend a ton on it, if it's a dedicated beater. My two cents...
I bet Deejer can point you in the right direction.

Thanks Jeff! Yea im all about gettin good cases. I have a lifeproof for my iphone 4s and love it! Totally water proof. Has o'rings everywhere. Highly recommended. I assume most or all GPS units have downloadable maps?

BleednGreen68 03-17-2012 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by deej (Post 466515)
Hahahaha...wait I can't be Mr Clean and gogo gadget at the same time, so putting down my cleaning rag, I'll chime in here. :p

Ok in this picture you can see an IPhone on the left, a Garmin 60CSx in the middle and then a Garmin Nuvi on the right. As far as the KLX riding, All I use is the 60, and its awesome. You can make routes and follow them, geocache downloads are cool so they just show up and you can stop for one if you want to. Its water proof and the buttons are really easy to use. The antenna is a higher power than the old one I had, in fact in tree canopy areas it rarely has issues. I had a Garmin Etrex last year and it got fried because I tried to wire it straight to the 12 power fogetting that the cig plug on the cable takes it from 12 down to like 5, lesson learned. DOH!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...4/P6260832.jpg

Ok GPS master, is the 60 more durable in dusty conditions than the nuvi?? Is that why you use it then? I installed a 12v cig lighter port, can I still plug it into that if needed or will I fry it???

BleednGreen68 03-17-2012 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by EZman250 (Post 466517)
Garmin GPS 76CX at West Marine for $150.

Same software as 60CX.

Waterproof, works great. Around 24 hrs on 2 AA cells. I do not even hook it up to onboard power. Just carry a few extra AA bats.

You do need to add a $80 map - City Navigator as the included maps are poor at best.

So it is more like $230

Im assuming Garmin is the way to go? Seems everyone is usin them. i want somethin easy to use and has lots of accessories. Seems the RAM mount is also the way to go?

BleednGreen68 05-20-2012 03:58 AM

Well today at cabelas I bought the Garmin Oregon 450T. It was on sale and couldnt pass it up. Its the topo edition with the topo maps already on it. It also seems to do street addresses too? I dont know how good this feature is on it but it showed all the streets around my house. I just thought it was a topo gps unit. Anyone else have this unit? How do you like it? I also bought the RAM mount for it too off ebay.

deej 05-20-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68 (Post 466529)
Ok GPS master, is the 60 more durable in dusty conditions than the nuvi?? Is that why you use it then? I installed a 12v cig lighter port, can I still plug it into that if needed or will I fry it???

Oh yeah the 60 is dust and water proof, the nuvi is made for the family car, I would never use in dusty or wet conditions. I keep a ziplock bad and a rubber band in my tank bag in case it gets wet out while riding the big road bike, but again I only use the 60 off road. ;)