Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Gear to take on motorcycle camping trip

Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

That an interesting setup...and compact too.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 PM
red
1st Gear Member

Works well and yes it's very compact.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok im back. Doing another trip this sept through colorado and utah. Trailering to florissant, co and leaving from there. My 2 cousins and their friend and I are goin. 2 ktms and 2 kawis. Primitive camping with the occassional hotel stay. I have a lot more gear saved up from the last time I started this post. Anyone else have anything else to add? I dont want to pack too heavy since Im on a my klx250. Depending on how much I pack I might have to use my saddle bags but would rather not if i dont have to. I have a full set of oxford soft luggage that i bought yrs ago for my ninja. They have rain covers if we hit some wet weather. I have the expandable saddle bags, expandable tail bag that is huge, and a expandable tank bag that is also nice sized. I keep the tank bag on all the time when im daily driving my klx to work and stuff. The only other big things Im taking is a tent, sleeping bag, and a very small foldable soft camping stool from cabelas.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

For the UT part, you probably won't need any rain covers. It hardly ever rains here.

What about cooking gear? Are you planning to eat at restaurants the whole way? Make sure you bring LOTS of water for the Utah leg. It's VERY dry here, and easy to dehydrate without realizing it before it's too late.

What route are you taking, and when are you going?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
For the UT part, you probably won't need any rain covers. It hardly ever rains here.

What about cooking gear? Are you planning to eat at restaurants the whole way? Make sure you bring LOTS of water for the Utah leg. It's VERY dry here, and easy to dehydrate without realizing it before it's too late.

What route are you taking, and when are you going?
Well half the leg is in colorado and we might see rain so I will bring them anyways. We have some portable stoves. Before the day is over we will fuel up and get supplies then head out for a camp site before it gets dark and cook or just eat non-cooked meals. Just depends on what we get. I assume there arnt very many rivers/streams in utah?? Idk what route we are taking. Def goin to moab for sure and (I think its called) White rim trail? I was thinkin of gettin one of those portable water filtration systems. I will have lots of bottled water for sure!

Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68
Well half the leg is in colorado and we might see rain so I will bring them anyways. We have some portable stoves. Before the day is over we will fuel up and get supplies then head out for a camp site before it gets dark and cook or just eat non-cooked meals. Just depends on what we get. I assume there arnt very many rivers/streams in utah?? Idk what route we are taking. Def goin to moab for sure and (I think its called) White rim trail? I was thinkin of gettin one of those portable water filtration systems. I will have lots of bottled water for sure!
Been pretty dry this year compared to other years, because of the mild winter we had.

There are actually lots of streams and reservoirs scattered all over. Definitely get a filter pump! I carry one with me when I motorcycle camp, and I also bring a few collapsible bottles. I have pumped water out of muddy swampy areas with cow tracks all over. I was a little hesitant to drink it because of where it came from, but it tasted fine and no one got sick on it. It wouldn't hurt to even pump the water at campgrounds. Getting sick on a trip would really suck!

Moab will be hot and dry compared to where I live in the northern part of the state, but I understand it is an amazing ride! Most people I know go in the spring or fall. Summer is downright HOT down there. We just came off a record number of days above 100 degrees, but it was back to around 97 again today. Moab is usually 10-15 degrees hotter than where I live. Make sure your bike is not prone to overheating! It will get tested down there, for sure.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Been pretty dry this year compared to other years, because of the mild winter we had.

There are actually lots of streams and reservoirs scattered all over. Definitely get a filter pump! I carry one with me when I motorcycle camp, and I also bring a few collapsible bottles. I have pumped water out of muddy swampy areas with cow tracks all over. I was a little hesitant to drink it because of where it came from, but it tasted fine and no one got sick on it. It wouldn't hurt to even pump the water at campgrounds. Getting sick on a trip would really suck!

Moab will be hot and dry compared to where I live in the northern part of the state, but I understand it is an amazing ride! Most people I know go in the spring or fall. Summer is downright HOT down there. We just came off a record number of days above 100 degrees, but it was back to around 97 again today. Moab is usually 10-15 degrees hotter than where I live. Make sure your bike is not prone to overheating! It will get tested down there, for sure.
Wow sounds like they work great. Thats one thing i would be worried about is gettin sick from the water. What pump you recommend?? We are leaving the second weekend in sept. My cousins went there last yr or the yr before on their bike trip. They said it was hot. Well this will be the real test for my klx. Dont think it will overheat. Its ready for the trip. Just worried about overloading it since its only a 250.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68
Wow sounds like they work great. Thats one thing i would be worried about is gettin sick from the water. What pump you recommend?? We are leaving the second weekend in sept. My cousins went there last yr or the yr before on their bike trip. They said it was hot. Well this will be the real test for my klx. Dont think it will overheat. Its ready for the trip. Just worried about overloading it since its only a 250.
I have a Katadyn Hiker water purifier. I bought it for a few reasons:
1) It got consistently good reviews.
2) It is discontinued and can be found for VERY reasonable prices
3) It takes the same filter as the Hiker Pro, which are readily available.

You're bike won't overheat. The KLX250S has a very good cooling system! I ride it in 100+ degrees - never had a problem.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a Katadyn Hiker water purifier. I bought it for a few reasons:
1) It got consistently good reviews.
2) It is discontinued and can be found for VERY reasonable prices
3) It takes the same filter as the Hiker Pro, which are readily available.

You're bike won't overheat. The KLX250S has a very good cooling system! I ride it in 100+ degrees - never had a problem.
Thanks for the info! Also, for all you guys that do big trips (im doing a 2 week trip) what tires you running? I am puttin on a kenda parker DT tire on the rear. I got it in today but It is alot wider than the stocker. Its a 120/100/18. Should I stick with that or put on a 110/100/18? I regeared it to a 13/45 so i have more low end now. This tire will fit but dont know if it will lug my bike down too much since it will be loaded down kinda heavy now.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

aHHH... One of the trips that is on my bucket list. I definitely want to travel to the Moab one of these days... Such a legit adventure.
Any update on how everything went?