Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Boots and gloves..

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Default Boots and gloves..

My MSF course starts on Fri.. the first riding portion is on Sun, and I need gloves and boots. Would any of you recommend buying boots and gloves made for riding (i.e. Joe Rocket).. or just to go out and buy a cheap pair of workboots or something. I'm planning on buying my own bike after I get my license, but it's not a definite thing which makes me wary of spending 150+ just to ride in circles on the air national guard base. Also, what boots would you recommend... because there are the ones the fully cover the entire ankle and those that only cover it partially. Aesthetics also play a part, which boots look best with full leathers (because that's what I would be wearing everytime I rode).

Old 05-09-2006, 06:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Boots and gloves..

Well I think its up to you totally... like ya said do ya want to spend the extra $$$ and buy motorcycle boots or buy some steel toed boots like I did they seem to work fine for me.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:53 AM

i think the icon super duty boots look hella cool and seem sturdy and do the job good. i still have yet to buy boots aswell. if i were to get some those would be my choice.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:07 AM

Well also the problem is if I did just buy some steel-toed, if I actually got a bike I would have to spend more money later on.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Wannabe250

Well also the problem is if I did just buy some steel-toed, if I actually got a bike I would have to spend more money later on.
Yea but you would have a good pair of work boots too

Old 05-09-2006, 07:21 AM

I have a set of Sidi Vertigo Corsa perforated boots they are very nice. The strap across the top of the foot dosn't help much. Kind of high $ if you dont know if your going to ride.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:26 AM

Yeah but I don't need workboots.. I work in a lab all day, sneakers work fine for basically all I do.

Those icon boots look nice, I'll look into them.

And, although I JUST said all I would wear is leathers.. how are those icon reinforced denim? Obviously not as good as leather but..

Old 05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I have my class coming up at the end of the month and had the same issue. I already have the Joe Rocket textile jacket . But I needed boots and gloves for the class. I wasnt sure which way I wanted to go for boots. All thats required for the class (in NY) is a boot ( or hiker) that goes over the ankle. I just bought a pair of plain leather boots, cause of spring, they were on clearence, $39. They are nice enough I could wear them w/ jeans. My gloves I bought yesterday. Since I already have the Joe Rocket textile jacket I bought gloves that would match. You could use any glove though, like mechanic gloves or dirt bike gloves. It all depends on what you want to spend and whats available in your area. ( i had to order my gloves)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1107/26422B3A08654B28BE4DC44916D4DE89.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

I have a pair of military boots that I wore for my bike course and that is what I currently wear. They are great! They're leather, cover my ankles, have awesome tread and reinforced toe. I got mine for $20 bucks at a surplus sale. Plus another bonus to them - they are pretty much waterproof.

I bought a pair of the Icon super duty gloves, they weren't too bad in price.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

You said you would be riding around the Air Force base, so I take it you are in the Military then?! You would have easy access to military boots then, that would work like bluebird said

ORIGINAL: Wannabe250

My MSF course starts on Fri.. the first riding portion is on Sun, and I need gloves and boots. Would any of you recommend buying boots and gloves made for riding (i.e. Joe Rocket).. or just to go out and buy a cheap pair of workboots or something. I'm planning on buying my own bike after I get my license, but it's not a definite thing which makes me wary of spending 150+ just to ride in circles on the air national guard base. Also, what boots would you recommend... because there are the ones the fully cover the entire ankle and those that only cover it partially. Aesthetics also play a part, which boots look best with full leathers (because that's what I would be wearing everytime I rode).

Quick Reply: Boots and gloves..