Er-6n ECU remap or power commander?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Default Er-6n ECU remap or power commander?

Hi all,

This is the first time I have ever posted anything on any kind of forum before so please have a little patience with me if I am not doing it right.

I bought a Kawasaki er-6n 2016 (66 reg) and I had it throttle restricted (A2 license restriction). Since then, I have fitted the IXIL Hyperlow 3XL full system and a K&N air filter. Now, although IXIL said that a power commander was not needed for this exhaust, I feel like it does (I'm new to bikes) which is why I thought I should try and reach out to the community for some advice.

The bike feels like fuelling is too low in the low rev range, and too high in the mid range (exhaust pops all the time so I assume it is because of the fuelling being too high). Now to solve this I assumed I would need to get a power commander or have it remapped.

Now my questions are:

1) Do I need to remove the throttle restrictor before mapping? (I assume that I will need to)

2) What is better value for money - ECU remap or power commander?

3) If the power commander is the way to go then should I have it done by a tuning shop as I would if got it ECU remapped (since I cant seem to find a map online for my exhaust or air filter) or should I try and tune it myself?

4) Is it difficult to get the tuning right for a complete newbie? I won't have any issues with the software (assuming it's a dynojet PC that I go with) and I understand the basic fundamentals of how the fuelling works - but I am not sure if I would know whether or not I have he bike fuelling correctly.

5) If the PC is recommended then which one is the best value for money?

Many thanks for your help.

Zeeshan

Old 03-28-2017, 12:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Zeeshan,
might I suggest you try a British forum something like versys.co.uk simply because they will be more familiar with what your British restricted bike has in the way of tuning and restrictions. The Versys uses the same engine and they are a good bunch at versys.co.uk I'm sure they will help you out. American bikes don't have the restrictions and Australian bikes have a different system I believe.
I de-restricted my Australian 2012 Versys and can tell how it was done but the newer bikes use a different system.
Good luck