Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Should I be concerned?

hi guys.

Got my eliminator a couple of weeks ago and it's been fantastic.

Yesterday I was coming home from work and just before i came up to my slip road i heard the engine revs dying down... bit wierd i thought so i changed down a gear and opened the throttle - revs still dying - changed down another gear - revs still dying - so i pulled up to the side of the road, my engines died!! so i thought s**t as you do and tried to restart but no luck... waited for a few minutes, i thought i may have run out of petrol as i'd just come from brighton to Maidstone so i switched to reserve, engine still wouldn't start. Had to wait for about 5 minutes before i could get going again.

Any thoughts as to why? Could it be just low petrol, perhaps overheating (i'd been travelling at around 60 for a good half hour in top gear all the way) or could it just be i need to wait for a while for the engine to settle in before going that hard again?

I'm thinking that a brand new two week old bike shouldn't be cutting out on me.

Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated, Thanks

Old 09-09-2007, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Should I be concerned?

your carb might be dirty, i know its unlikely on a new bike but ya never know, try putting some carb cleaner in your gas. you should adjust your air fuel mixture to, if youre running lean it will overheat eventually.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

If you run the petcock in reserve, what happens if you start and ride that way.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem the first time I ran out of fuel on my Eliminator. After you run out, it just takes a few minutes for it to start again after you switch to reserve. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: motor_head_666

hi guys.

Got my eliminator a couple of weeks ago and it's been fantastic.

Yesterday I was coming home from work and just before i came up to my slip road i heard the engine revs dying down... bit wierd i thought so i changed down a gear and opened the throttle - revs still dying - changed down another gear - revs still dying - so i pulled up to the side of the road, my engines died!! so i thought s**t as you do and tried to restart but no luck... waited for a few minutes, i thought i may have run out of petrol as i'd just come from brighton to Maidstone so i switched to reserve, engine still wouldn't start. Had to wait for about 5 minutes before i could get going again.

Any thoughts as to why? Could it be just low petrol, perhaps overheating (i'd been travelling at around 60 for a good half hour in top gear all the way) or could it just be i need to wait for a while for the engine to settle in before going that hard again?

I'm thinking that a brand new two week old bike shouldn't be cutting out on me.

Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated, Thanks
It's always advisable, although very boring, to run the engine in properly before going flat out. Although I'm interested in this problem, as I have the same thing with My Eliminator.. Only when it's cold and damp though. Luckily, when it's warmed up it runs fine again.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

If you run the petcock in reserve, what happens if you start and ride that way.
I can't speak for Motor_head, but in my case it didn't make any difference. I immediately thought of a fuel blockage, I knew the tank was full, in the main pipe, so switched to reserve.
Here's hoping We can find a solution

Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Motorhead I think I'm with rocket I wouldn't be concerned, unless it happens when you know you have fuel
I doubt that it was over heating, if it over heated to the point it shut off like that it would have probably locked the motor up. it sounds like it was out of fuel or starving for fuel.

Moose
I'd check the fuel filter or the sediment bowl, or screen(whichever it has).
(long shot) something in the tank floating around and occasionally blocking the fuel feed??

Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 PM

Motorhead,
Don't forget the fuel petcock is vacuum activated. When the engine isn't running, no fuel will flow to the carb in "ON" or "RESERVE". You must first turn the petcock to "PRIME" for a few seconds to allow fuel to fill the carb bowl, then switch to reserve. You may have beenlow onfuel, but without priming it will crank forever before it starts.

Other than that it sounds like an ignition module problem to me.