Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Vaquero

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Default New Vaquero

I just bought a 2012 Vaquero 1700. I was wondering the best way to keep the flat black from fading?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, Dawg! Post up a pic of that ride!
I haven't used this product, but after doing some research, it looks like "303 Protectant" is a pretty widely available product specifically designed for UV protection.
I tend to use a lot of detail spray on a regular, "quick dust-off" weekend routine. I'm not sure of the UV protection in detail sprays (versus the 303 stuff), but it might be worth checking. I'd probably stay away from silicone-based stuff which may look GREAT "right now," but eventually crap-up your finish.
Let us know what product you choose, and give us your impression.
Welcome, again. Gear-up; stay safe.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

pics please!!!! Gotta see the ride.

I am getting the '12 fairings for my KZ1000P and your question is pertinent. LOL Thinking of the Blue/black combo

Welcome to KF

Old 10-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

OK, Dawg, just because of YOU......
I went out and got a bottle of the 303 Protectant. (Found it locally at a marina.) I applied it to the vinyl passenger pad on the ZX, and the plastic wheel arches, bumper sections, dash, and (rear door-mounted) spare tire on the Rover. It SAYS you can apply to leather surfaces, but I'm pretty **** about what I put on that. (edit: Wait, that sounds bad.....errr, referring to the leather, not my "****.")
Immediate impression...I kinda like it. The bumper parts were pretty faded on the Rover, and it really revived them...and stayed that way; didn't evaporate. It's not gooey and slick like Armour All. Leaves a nice satin finish, but it's not a "silicone slick" feel. Time will tell how long it lasts. I'll update after a couple weeks. 2 thumbs up, so far.

Attached Thumbnails New Vaquero-303.jpg  

Last edited by jeffzx9; 10-25-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Just a brief follow-up on the 303 UV Protectant. Having used both the UV Protectant and the Fabric Protector, I'm not hugely impressed with either. The UV stuff seems to work best (at least long-term exposure) on interior surfaces like auto dash, armrests, etc. It DOES revive black trim on the exterior pretty well, but seems to wash off MUCH too easily. I think there are other products which do a better job on the exterior stuff.
As for the Fabric Protector. My daughter's convertible Mini-Cooper received a thorough cleaning and two applications of Fabric Protector. Granted, the outside temp was not in the recommended 70+ degree range, but the sun was out and in the mid 60's. I have observed some minimal water "beading," but not the expected water-beads-on-freshly-waxed-paint. The fabric was still saturated with water. Maybe I did something wrong, but in my book, if the application procedure is THAT critical and the planets need to be in alignment, then it's too fussy for me. Definitely not worth the pricetag, either. My verdict: I won't buy any more of this stuff.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
I'm pretty **** .
Yeah we heard that about you.

Buwahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^^ That's one ride report we can do without^^^^

Hahahahahaha