Should I buy a Concours

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Default Should I buy a Concours

Hi Guys/Gals
I'm brand new to this forum, I'd like to add another bike to my stable and have been thinking about doing the Key West to Dead Horse Iron Butt ride. I'm looking at the concours as a bike I could ride that run on. I would Love your oppinions on that thought.
Thanks,

Old 09-26-2006, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Should I buy a Concours

I've never ridden one, but I know a few people who have them. They haven't been changed for 20 years, so that tells you about the reliablility of them. They are a 1000cc bike. Run smooth. Good wind protection. Saddle bags are roomy. They can be picked up fairly cheap, too.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:44 AM

Hi, I have a '95 Concours I've owned for 10 years from new. It's a great fit for me--with the best fairing clearance of all the bikes on the market at the time (I'm 6'1"), and has loads of power (90+) at the rear wheel. On the downside, it seems a bit top heavy, and has probably the highest seat height on the market (32.8"?). It handles like a pig in slow traffic. A crosswind catches it like a sail, and it can be a bit unstable, even squirmy under any but ideal conditions--terrifying in the rain. I've had Dunlop K700/701s, D205s, Pirelli GT03/04s, and Metzler Mz1s--not much difference. It fishtails on hard braking. The windshield has a top flip which is just enough to deflect the wind UNTIL I reach highway speeds, and then I get battered. I've upgraded to a 17" Rifle shield (quieter, but still not great) and am about to try a 25.5" Cee Bailey vented shield. The engine is buzzy, it gets hot behind the fairing, the antler mounts suffer from metal fatigue, I've heard of unprotected gas tanks rusting through the bottom, and even one case of a driver's footpeg falling off while on the highway (!). I've had a hard time finding a good local mechanic--partly due to incompetence--but largely because Kawasaki dealers are just rare in Toronto Canada where I live. Maybe I got a lemon, but any money I saved on the bargain pricing has been paid out on upgrades and repairs. Many riders also add Gen-Mar handlebar risers, padded grips, and heavier bar-end weights. I love the bike cuz it's mine, but let the buyer beware. If I had the luxury now, I'd probably buy the FJR or ST1300... Good luck.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

just wait for the 1400 you cant go wrong with it

Old 11-14-2006, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member

^^^ Exactly! wait for the 08.[8D]

Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow, good posts here. And here I thought my 10r was a cruising machine. What about the 14? If I cruised 17k+ a year?

Old 11-17-2006, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

i went touring on my zrx these summer, loved the trip, however would have like more wind protection, i am working on the euro "S" model fairing, have all the parts, just making mounting brackets

here is albulm of trip to oregon and back to tennessee, did 6255 miles in 16 days. spent three days in grants pass oregon for an rally

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...oregon%20trip/

Old 11-24-2006, 04:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

What was I thinking. The 07 Concours is sporting the zx14 engine. The pics look nice too.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:30 PM

I currently own and ride a 1986 Concours. It's a great bike.

Some of the things that I would like to see better on the bike:

Adjustable front suspension - not with air pressure

Better brakes

Aside from this, it's a very competent bike. It will run forever with basic routing maintenance and will provide you with years of service.

However, the new Concours 14 sure does look sexy. And we all know there is no replacement for displacement.

I'm sure that the new Concours 14 will cost me more than the $96 I'm paying each year for insurance now.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:53 AM

I am facing the same question and by looking at the previous post about touring on a zx14, the concours looks more promising because I am used to a full fairing bike like my FJR. I just want to know if the spec's are going to be identical to the zx14, like how much fuel it will hold, weight difference and if the seat position will be the same, anyone know?

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Concours