2008 Concours vs. other makes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2008 Concours vs. other makes

I'm looking to get a sport touring motorcycle that is capable for daily commutes and long vacation trips. Currently, I'm putting about 300 miles a week on my KLX-250S. The KLX-250S is nice but, the constant wind in my face and being pushed by gusty winds has me convinced I need a second ride.

How does the new Concours compare to similar models from other manufacturers? I'm looking at a BMW F800ST (since since I don't want a $20K ride), Yamaha FJR, and various Honda and Suzuki models.

I ride by myself (no pillion companion in the foreseeable future). I'm 5'6", weigh ~170 pounds, and have a ~31 inch inseam. I sat on a Concours on a showroom floor and it seemed slightly tall for me since it split my legs so much. I could easily "tripod" at a stoplight but, I don't think I could balance that thing on both tippy toes. Am I better off with something a little smaller like the BMW twin or, should I let the bigger ride win me over?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 2008 Concours vs. other makes

At some point (When I have enough saved money.) I will be looking at either a sport touring bike, or a large sport bike. Basically, the ZX-14, or Concours 14 is what I've been looking at. Other manufacturers are not out of the question, but so far Kawasaki seems to offer the best performance, looks, and value. I'm 6ft,1" so just about any bike will fit me. Since you're a bit shorter, you need to ask yourself how comfortable you will be trying to balance a big bike on your toes. Sure, you could lower the bike, or shave the seat, but it is still a large bike. I guess your decission all depends on what you're willing to live with. If I were you though, I'd go with a larger bike.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

The larger heavier bike has me thinking about the big vs. small issue some more.

My little KLX-250S doesn't get much love from the people who don't own one. Why didn't you get the Suzuki DRZ-400? Or the 650 thumper of choice? Smaller and lighter sure are nice. Besides, this little ride will do highway speeds though, a little more power in stock form in sand would be nice.

The C-14 has me most concerned with parking lot (and parking space) maneuvers. Even on my KLX-250S, the slow speed parking lot stuff seems to be more challenging then rolling at >15MPH. Since this ride would see a lot of commuting service, not just long highway rides, slow speed handling and oily parking lots need to be considered carefully.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont know if you have any experiance with bikes heavier than your KLX, but the C-14 is a heafty machine and would make a wicked drop if tripoding didnt work out for you. if you want something for cummuting and long trips you can do no better thn the C-14, but there are smaller cheaper yet still porty options for tourers if you wanted to step up before going to the 14. The ZZR 600 is a nice comfortable ride and with saddle bags it can be just as capable on trips as the 14. You still get sportbike performance and comfortable long distance riding at half the cost and a lot less weight (but still plenty for highway peace of mind) and possibly a more managable size. Can't hurt to sit on one and try it out....