Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Question Help

hi... i need help please. i have a 2006 vulcan 500 and it started leaking fuel/oil out of the air breather casing. while taking the bike apart. i noticed something weird in the gas tank. turned out to be sugar... anyway i rebuilt the carbs. put back together and had the same problem but only when i give it gas from the throttle on the handlebar. so... i got 2 new carbs, put them on and cleaned out the air breather casing. so yesterday i crank it and it cranks right up. it seemed to run ok, but then i hit the throttle, and once again the gas/oil mixture comes pouring out again...
any ideas what it might be? it would be greatly appreciated. i am just about at my wits end.
the good thing.....im getting pretty good at installing these carbs..

Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you removed and flushed the fuel tank, drain oil, change all filters? I had always heard that sugar in the gas tank seizes a motor, but a little googling tells me otherwise...learned something. If someone sugared your fuel, they may have done something to the oil too. Clean it all up.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Turned out to be sugar? What the What?!!! Was someone mad at you? Welcome to the forums. I don't have an answer for you on what to do except watch for info from some of the road bike guys.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:11 PM

yep... sugar. i dont know how anyone got in the tank..as it stays locked. i think it might have been like that when i bought it (maybe) it just took a while to break down... i dont know
thanks, lisa

Old 11-01-2012, 03:14 PM

thanks.. i did flush the tank and clean it well, bought a k&n air filter but i didnt want to put it in until i knew that i had fixed the problem. i have not changed the oil, i will try that next.
thanks, lisa

Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Lisa,
You may have a stuck or poorly adjusted carb float that is allowing the fuel to pour through the carb, cylinder, and contaminate the oil, making it over-full and blowing out. Check your oil level before draining it and see if it is over-filled and if there is any hint of fuel there (smell it). I can see a grain of sugar or the sugar-slime-gunk sticking a float needle. Do you know how to check float level?

Change the fuel lines, filter, etc.
Good luck.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 11-01-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 PM

no, i'm not sure how to check the float level. but this is the 2nd set of carbs that i have put on and they both did the same.
thank you for your reply

Old 11-01-2012, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by malteseowner
no, i'm not sure how to check the float level. but this is the 2nd set of carbs that i have put on and they both did the same.
thank you for your reply
Basically, you want to have the carb off the bike (maybe it can be done on, not sure), fuel connected, clear hose off the bowl drain nipple looped around, and check where the static level of fuel rises to. See post #43 in the "351" thread link in my signature line below for some pics and narrative. There are ways of checking float level "dry" with the carb apart, but this method lets you check it "wet" as it operates, and also lets you see if the needle is sticking (which mine was for a bit until I cleaned it out). This method works for my thumper, but I'm not sure if it is the same for all carbs, so you'll want to do some research or maybe someone more knowledgeable will provide some input.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Check out your Clean Air System.

Welcome to KF

Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 AM

ok... finally think i got it.. i changed the oil (if you want to call it that) and it was more gas than oil. that seemed to fix the problem of the oil / gas mixture pouring out of my air breather casing. so i crank it up and it is really running rough so then i change the spark plugs. it still runs rough and wants to go dead everytime i hit the throttle. it is smoking on the left side only. any ideas???

Quick Reply: Help