Chain Lube

Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Chain Lube

I've just hit about 1000 miles on my Vulcan 500 LTD and don't really care to take it to the dealer everytime I need the chain lubed. Can anyone recomend a lube that has worked best for them that doesn't make a really big mess all over the rear wheel?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Default RE: Chain Lube

I use Bel-Ray's chain lube every 300 miles or so:
http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=13616
It works well and doesn't really splash around if you let it dry. It does turn the chain white, but I never look at my chain. I've got some all over my frame and exhaust, but that's because there is very little space through which to get to the chain and I'm too lazy to do it right.

I clean the chain every 1,000 miles or so with kerosene and a grunge brush. Works amazingly well. Once that's done, ride around for 10 miles or so and put the lube on a clean chain.

Some people say WD-40 for cleaning and/or lube, but there are concerns about it penetrating the o-rings and drying them out. I'm staying away from itnot willing to take a chanceand there are enough other products you can use.

WebBikeWorld has a chain cleaning section:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/
They mention both the brush and the Bel-Ray's.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try

Old 08-31-2007, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Page 89-95 of the manual will tell you EXACTLY what to do. Harry

Old 08-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Uthor, Ican race a club season of sprint races with the WD40 cleaning and using Belray for lubing.

Some people say WD-40 for cleaning and/or lube, but there are concerns about it penetrating the o-rings and drying them out. I'm staying away from itnot willing to take a chanceand there are enough other products you can use.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:40 PM

AMSOIL Heavy Duty MP is designed to go on wet to get between the chain links and turns waxy so it won'tsling off.

Doc

Old 06-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Hi,
I have been squirting some 75W90 oil on my chain every few days of riding (I commute on my bike) and although it does dirty up the back wheel, I have 28Kmiles on my original chain and it is still within spec.
Regards,
Ryan

Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I usedBel-Ray as the bike's first chain lube at 300 miles. Not crazy about it turning the chain white, but I've never seen any of it sling off. I dread cleaning the chain when it's due....when I accidentally getthat stuffon my hands, it's a b*tch to get off.

I used 80W-90 gear oil on my previous Ninja...whatamess that was. It slung everywhere. No more of that, thanks.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:45 PM

If you insist on using a product that is not dsigned for that purpose, you will have sling if you go to bar and chain oil for a chain saw... Which is basically gear lube but has a tackifier in it to make it stick better to the chain.

Of course, you could always use a product that is designed for that use such as AMSOIL Heavy Duty MP.

Doc

Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by osufireman
I've just hit about 1000 miles on my Vulcan 500 LTD and don't really care to take it to the dealer everytime I need the chain lubed. Can anyone recomend a lube that has worked best for them that doesn't make a really big mess all over the rear wheel?
Kawasaki recommends gear oil. I use 80W-90 gear oil. To apply it, I have a narrow paint roller that I keep in a plastic container with a hole just large enough for the handle's wire to stick out. Just load up the roller with a small amount of gear oil and push the bike while someone else applies the roller to the chain. You get the right amount on the chain and it is easy to apply. No excess oil and less slinging.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chain Lube