Trouble in Paradise

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Trouble in Paradise

Well as some of you know I've been (im)patiently waiting toi get my biek back to gether after LineXing it and I'm 3/4 done got the oil changed and final started the bike for the first this year and it soundsterrible. I'm not a mechanic but i do take pride in doing what limited work on my own bike as I know most of us do. As it took a bit to get the gas back through the linesand all the carbs filled when it finally is running it sounds like there is a miss. It will not ideal on its own and when I go to give it some trottle it simply sounds like I'm pulling a trailer and don't have the power(engine boggs down.) This is my first go round getting it ready in the spring myself and I didn't know how normal this is. If I should let it idea for an extended lenght of time even thought i konw just let a bike ideal isn't good for it or what it could be. I also konw it's time ofr some new spark plugges and wonder if that could be the problem which brings me to my next questions. How difficult is it to change ZZR spark plugs. I've heard horror stories but would realy like to "do-it-myself" and if it's not too tedious what spark plugges does everyone prefer. And I"m spent. Well thanks for any and all help!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Trouble in Paradise

The spark plugs arew pretty easy man, I just did mine for the first time last week-ish. Check your fuel filter too, mine was pretty bad and it wasn't even getting any fuel through the filter. I think the plugs are NGK CR9E id you need some. In the tool kit that came with your bike there is a spark plug tool and that is the best thing in it, that thing makes changing the plugs easy.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

When mine sat in the shop for a little over a month, it ran like s#*@. Once I got it on the road again, it all started working properly again. But, with what Rick said, it can't be a bad idea to go through your plugs and stuff.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks guys that helps a ton and I was just going to go out and get mysefl a sparkplug socket.. dumb me I forgot about that one in my tool kit well wish me luck and can I clean the feul filter or do I just buy a new one. One more question it says I can either get CR9E or iridium CR9EIX the price going from 4.50 to 7.25 does anyone think it would be worth it?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Not sure, I went the CR9E on mine. Put a K&N in there, then you wont have to buy anymore filters, and get a few HP out of it as well.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Man rick I like the way you think... Did the K&N last weekend and went for the CR9E instead of the iridium CR9EIX. From what I've found out about them they aren't worth paying twice the cost. But if anyone knows differently I'd love to hear bout it. And the bike is idealing much better but my battery is shoot so that's the next bit i have to deal w/ and hopefully it'll be right as rain by tommorow night. Weather permitting, stinkin' Nebraska!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Supposed o rain like crazy from Tues to next Monday...grr. I put the exhaust on that BLKPRL sodl to me and it sounds great man.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I lied... I thought I had everything taken care of but today I put some gas in it, started it up and it's running much better but it still is having that hesitation. No matter the rmp's or gear it's not happy to say the least. I tried to just let it running thinking it may need to get rid of some bad gass left over form last year but not dice. and another thing it won't ideal w/out the choke being on. I'm at my wits end and just want to get out on the road. aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Fuel filter, thats what mine did before I changed plugs, fuel filter, and put a few gallons of 94 in the tank. Just look ata the filter and see if it is clear, if it isn't buy a new one. Mine was doing almost exactly what yours is, even smelled like gas, but when I looked in the carbs after I removed the tank there was nothing in them. It wasn't getting any fuel. I can't explain why it smelled like gas tho

Old 04-10-2008, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Man rick I think we might be sharing the same bike but at least I'm sure it's the smae problem. Thx man you're given me hope I realy don't want to have to "put my horse down." Not realy I'm just getting frustrated. thx guys!!!

Quick Reply: Trouble in Paradise