Playin with suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Playin with suspension

So I came across an article in sport rider. When they test a bike, the write down what they feel are the best suspension settings. So I tried to look up our bikes and came up with an '06 ZZR. They have front pre-load set with 6 lines showing. Frond rebound 1.5 turns out from full stiff. And compression dampening at 2 turns out from full stiff.
Rear rebound is full stiff. Compression dampening is at 1.5 turns out from full stiff.

Anyway, mines an '07 but the bike is the same, so I tried to set it up like they recommended. Everything was set super soft on it. Granted, these bikes are set up for a japaneese person that weighs about 5 ounces and is about 3 feet tall (no, I'm not trying to be rude, sarcastic, or offensive, so don't go there!)

I'm gonna test ride it in a few minutes and see how it feels. Anyone else mess around with your settings?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

no but i can tell you i mentioned softening the suspension on my bike when i got it last summer to see if that could help me get both feet flat footed and the guys there looked at me like i was speaking a different language. I figured a softer suspension would make the bike sit lower but not by much. besides track guys I'd bet people rarely ever tinker with their suspension.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by S0NIC
no but i can tell you i mentioned softening the suspension on my bike when i got it last summer to see if that could help me get both feet flat footed and the guys there looked at me like i was speaking a different language. I figured a softer suspension would make the bike sit lower but not by much. besides track guys I'd bet people rarely ever tinker with their suspension.
I'll bet your right. I never thought of adjusting the settings, untill I read something in a magazine article. Plus, someone else on here mentioned something about it at one time, saying how important it is to have your suspension dialed in right for you. I have to agree with them, it's just that you need to have an idea what you're doing with it (I have no clue). That's why I went with their base line settings to give it a try. I kinda like how it rides and handles now.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

anyway you could post some pics of what your doing? Id like to see it done so i could possibly do it

Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a mechanic I met at mid-ohio help me out. He still races as well, but was very familiar with our bikes as he raced it as a 6r back in 00-01. I know that the rear required a spacer to get it to the right height, something about the geometry of the bike being a little off. Raising the rear helps it sort of "fall in" to the corners better if you know what I mean. The front on mine is lowered about an inch, and I have no idea what he did with the compression up there. I do know tha it handled much better after he hooked it up for me. Just had to buy him a pizza for it

Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

anyway you could post some pics of what your doing? Id like to see it done so i could possibly do it
Let me see what I can do. When I reset mine, it just firmed up the ride a bit. I'm about 180lbs plus I never was too crazy about the front end dipping down when you're on the front brakes.
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_s...gs/index5.html
Until I get more pictures take a look at this.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Front end is definitely more stiff now than before. Almost no "dipping" when I am on the brakes.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

i stiffend up the back and it really helped the cornering. stopped the wheel from feeling like it was sliding out.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I haven't forgotten getting pictures, I finally started working again this week (new job).
I may be able to get some pictures on sunday. In the mean time, do you have your owners manual? It does have a few pictures of what is where on the adjustments.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Sonic, I finally have a day off tomorrow! I'll have the pictures and stuff on here tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Playin with suspension