Oil Light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Default Oil Light on

I just changed my oil and filter on my 2007 ZZR600 and everything seemed to go fine but this AM the oil light stayed on and the sightglass remained full. It appears the oil is not circulating. Anyone have any insight? The old oil was not that dirty...bad oil pump? what kind of oil pump is it. I have not had a chance to investigate. Thanks for any help!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking your oil pump lost it's prime. Last time I changed my oil I let it sit draining for about 10+ minutes. It took about 10 seconds for the light to go out after re-starting the engine after the oil change. I think one way to get the air out of your system would be to loosen the oil filter slightly, start the engine, as soon as the oil starts to come out-shut it down! Tighten the oil filter, clean it up, and re-start the engine (when the oil level has been double checked). Make sure the oil light goes out.
This procedure can be messy! I haven't had to do it before, it's something I have read somewhere else. Someone else may want to pitch their 2 cents in here.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the input; frankly I was dumbfounded. I think that you are correct about the prime, I put the bike up on a rear wheel stand and after running it for a minute and revving it a couple of times the light went out and the oil in the reservoir started pumping. New bike and first oil change, so I'll chalk it up to operating experience.