looking at a zzr/questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Default looking at a zzr/questions

I'm looking at getting a new bike and the 650R and zzr600 have caught my eye. I like the zzr because the exhaust looks badass and is ready for a slip-on (the 650r has that odd exhaust in front of the rear tire), it's a four cylinder bike and looks awesome.

The 650R's pros are pretty much the fuel injection and the lower price; but I guess with fuel injection comes more potential prob's than carbs except for the occasional resync.

Anyway, anyone have or have a link to a sound clip of a late model zzr with stock exhaust? And it is necessary to rejet for all and any slip-ons? (my bike came with a 2 into 1 from prev. owner and I don't know what all they did air filter and jet wise).

Also, are these very prone to tank slap? And will they wheelie up if you just pin it from a dig, or do you have to hang at a certain rpm and then goose it? (I'm used to an ex500 and don't have to worry about such things)

Thanks

Old 05-22-2008, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: looking at a zzr/questions

Do not have a sound clip for you, but it is not necessary to rejet. You will not get as much out of the bike without rejetting though. You can wheelie either way, I think you are referring to clutching it up vs. power wheelie. The zzr and the 650 are VERY different bikes. I prefer the higher speed and better power of the zzr. There are also many, many mods available for this bike, because it is a rebadged 2001 zx6-r.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I have 2007 black ZZR600 with a Yoshimura RS-3 bolt-on can. I could opt to re-jet the bike but nowhere is it written that re-jetting is necessary with the installation of just a bolt-on pipe. It probably would be though if a high-flow air filter is installed. I have some mods planned but wouldinitially go for cosmetics. If I were to do a power mod, I would most likely go for a +4-degree ignition timing advancer to get rid of the flat spot at mid RPM. Stock, the ZZR600 is fast enough IMO.

As far as "wheelies" are concerned,it certainly will do itboth ways... ie dumping the clutch or a "roll on".

Regarding the sound clip, you may wanna check out youtube.com or this link for aftermarket pipes... http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0...ips/index.html.

And yes, zzrick is correct... parts for the 98-02 ZX6-R will fit the ZZR600. And there you have it!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 PM

So if I take off in first and pin it all the way to redline, even leaning forward, it will wheelie up? I weigh about 215 lbs.

I notice this bike has a non-o-or-x-ring chain...does that mean the lube and adjust interval is different from, say, my 500 (o-ring chain and manual says lube every 400 check adj every 800).

Do these things tank slap a lot?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 PM

Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 PM

Get Both...You deserve it.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

So if I take off in first and pin it all the way to redline, even leaning forward, it will wheelie up? I weigh about 215 lbs.

I notice this bike has a non-o-or-x-ring chain...does that mean the lube and adjust interval is different from, say, my 500 (o-ring chain and manual says lube every 400 check adj every 800).

Do these things tank slap a lot?
MIne does now (wheelie question), but it was not as much fun when it was stock. And I am pretty (very) aggressive, no tank slappers yet. Maybe I am just that good...lol.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:28 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, **** happensrick

Old 06-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me know that the zzr600 is a rebadged zx6r (I'm kind of new to bikes, esp. ones bigger than a ninja 500). I ended up picking up an 02 zx6r and love it!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

congrats - i got a 95 zx6r last year (still basicly the same bike as the zzr) great bike.

Quick Reply: looking at a zzr/questions