How easy is it to get a salvage title cleared up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Default How easy is it to get a salvage title cleared up?

How easy is it to get a salvage title cleared up?

Old 03-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Default RE: How easy is it to get a salvage title cleared up?

It will probably differ from state to state.

I bought a 97 GSXR600 (Track Bike) last week with a salvage title. On the title it said that it was unrebuildable. I went to the Tax Collector's office (Jacksonville, FL) to ask for information and as usual I got little help from them. All I wanted to know was if I could transfer the title to my name.

They gave me a number of someone to call at another office. From what I gathered if the title is listed as unrebuildable, it will be difficult if not impossible to rebuild, especially if there is a problem with the frame. If the problem is/was with the frame check with the Tax Collector's office to find out if getting a certification form a mechanic that the frame is straight and structurally sound will help.

If that does not work I've heard people mentioning that you can get a new frame with a clear title and replace all the parts from the salvage bike to the new frame.

In my case I do not worry about the title because the bike will not be a street bike. The only thing that concerns me is that since I did not transfer the title anddid not register the bike I did not pay any taxes for the purchase.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:14 PM

mine isnt unrebuildable...its just salvage...the frame is fine it fell on the left so broke the stator cover plus minor fairing damage, will I still have difficulties registering? does the fairing need to be repaired etc.

Switching the frame sounds good....

Old 03-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

here in cali once it is a salvage it will remain a salvage title forever. but you can still register the bike or car. you just have to have a brake and light inspection done, and they have to look at it and verify the frame numbers and engine numbers are matching. then you get your tags.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 AM

i just pruchesd a salvaged bike from the stateoaklahoma it has numbers on the frame but not on the motor do you think ill have a problem getting my tags and plate ? the papper work i have just says salvaged title? im in cali

Old 03-22-2007, 12:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow they might ding you for a smog impact fee because the bike does not meet cali standards. and there has to be numbers on both frame and motor.the plastic might be in the way but there should be numbers on the right side engine case on the top a little flat spot where their stamped. ive went threw this already and they will require a brake and lamp inspection if this is the first time being registered after the accident. if the lights and brakes work take to a shop and have them write you a shop tag saying they performed this inspection and dmv will have to accept this. then they will look at the bike to see if the numbers match.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ps sorry about the third grade spelling^^^^^^^^

Old 03-22-2007, 08:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I LIVE IN NEBRASKA AND I HAD TO CHANGE IT TO A "PREVIOUSLY SALVAGED" title AND THEN TITLE IT IN MY NAME. I ONLY HAD TO TAKE THE BIKE INTO THE DOT AND HAVE A SHERIFF INSPECT IT AND MAKE SURE THE VINs MATCHED. IT TOOK ALL OF 10 MINUTES AND I WAS OUTTA THERE. GOOD LUCK.