First time to lay her down...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Default First time to lay her down...

I just bought an '05 ZZR 600 a couple months ago and love the bike. Unfortunatly, last weekI layed it down... I had just hopped on it and was taking the first turn out of my nieghborhood and the back wheel broke free and the bike turned sideways and ended up high-siding. I didnt think I was going any faster than I normally do on the turn and there was no water/gravel in the road to cause slippage. I was thinking mabey it was from my tires being cold since a slight coldfront had blown in earlier in the week. I hadnt driven the bike when it was cooler but I live in Texas and didnt think 70ish degree temps would effect my tires... Anyway, luckily the bike didnt land on me and I only ended up with some rash on my knee. But my bike took a bit of damage. My engine coolant reservoir cracked, both turn signals smashed, broke the mounting plate for the shifting mechinism, and broke the left handlebar. Not to mention gringing up the front and side ferrings pretty bad and also the generator cover. Which is what leads to making this post. I was curious if an '06 generator cover would fit on my '05? There is one on ebay for half the price of a new one and it looks identical. Just wanted to make sure.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First time to lay her down...

An '06 zzr cover is the same...so yes. Sorry to hear about the off though, the tire temp is always an issue, even if it is 90 degrees outside, because it has more to do with the tires heating up to get grip than the ambient temp around them. So be careful. Glad you are alright man.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

as its been getting colder here i have to be careful pulling out of my driveway onto the main road as too much throttle and i'm suddenly drifting my bike. its happened 2 times in the last week or so.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Too bad about the get off, freaky things happen like that. Glad to hear your ok. E-bay the best place for parts.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:06 AM

Yea the thought of tire temp hadn't even crossed my mind until I was laying on the ground trying to figure out wtf when wrong haha. So I guess I need to go easy on throttle for the first few miles or so... or at least easy on the turns.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

and so now tire temp is engrained, and hopefully setup is at the same time. Glad that you are ok.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Everybody goes down at one time or another. The important thing is that you learn from it. Glad you are okay. It could have been a lot worse. Sorry to hear about the damage to your baby. Good luck getting it fixed. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 AM

Yeah I definitely learned something from that fall. I've spent alot of time reading up about high-siding and how to avoid/minimize damage when it is gonna happen. As for the bike... I figure since I have to replace parts anyway why not get some upgrades while im at it... I decided on getting a new rear taillight with integrated blinkers, rear fender eliminator, black aluminum clutch/brake levers, dark smoke replacement winscreen, and I had planned on getting Greggs' flush mount fron turn signals but the place I ordered from was back ordered until january so I am still in need of front signals. I found these sleek mirrors with integrated signals but I'm not sure if they fit my bike. It says they fit ZX6R/636/ZX6RR 98-04 but the base doesnt look like it would. What do you guys think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TODAY.m238.lVI

Anyone have a suggestion on what frame sliders are good? Vortex ones seemed like a good choice but I was wondering if they held up? I had some crappy ones that I bought from the dealer when I got my bike, but they were a waste of money. The thing just broke right off when the bike hit and ended up cracking the ferring even more it seemed like.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sorry to hear about the srcub. glad ur ok

Old 11-26-2007, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl_sk8er

Anyone have a suggestion on what frame sliders are good? Vortex ones seemed like a good choice but I was wondering if they held up? I had some crappy ones that I bought from the dealer when I got my bike, but they were a waste of money. The thing just broke right off when the bike hit and ended up cracking the ferring even more it seemed like.
Woodcraft makes some really nice ones that work well from what I have heard, but race railz are the best protection for the top of the bike IMHO.

Quick Reply: First time to lay her down...