first ride - comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:47 AM
Default first ride - comfort?

Hey guys,

took the bike out for its first 30 minute ride today. It was f'in awesome!!!!!

the only thing is that it wasn't quite as comfortable as i was hoping for...my reach to the bars puts my rear end on the skinniest part of the seat and my ***** against the tank...and then of course with me "reaching" towards the bars seems to put a lot of pressure on my wrist. I am pretty short 5'8" on a good day.

Will handle bar risers help? everytime i read about them its tall people using them, does that make sense?

either way the bike was awesome i'm still going to ride the hell out of it i'm just looking for some options to improve the comfort.

2006 zzr600 btw

Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: first ride - comfort?

I don't know how short/tal you are, but as you get more comfortable you will notice that getting your butt back against the rear seat and leaning forward is the best riding position IMO. Remember that this is just a recycled supersport bike, not a true tourer.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

1+

Sportbikes were never intended to be comfortable. If you plan on taking any long trips on it, you may want to invest in a seat cushion (or a nut cup).[8D]

Old 03-30-2008, 03:03 PM

its not really about long trips, i just want to try and make the bike fit me better since the arm growing tonic i bought off Ebay didn't work ...

im sure i'll get more comfortable with it but if i can help the process along i'ld like to.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the term comfort is relative. When I said that it's the most comfortable sport bike you can buy, that was true. Most sportbikes try to fold you into a triangle. The ZZR allows you to stretch your legs out considerably. You can get adjustable clip ons that will bring the grips up higher. That would help out a lot. It shouldn't be puttinga lot of pressure on your wrists. The most comfortable way I've found to ride is to scoot back on the seat, rest your lower torso on the tank, andrelax your shoulders. That will put your elbows almost on your knees. This position allows you to get a considerable amount of your body under the windscreen without your neck getting sore from being in a full-tuck riding position. I'm 6'1", so what works for me might not work for you.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 PM

that makes sense...i did a search on clip on and risers but didn't find much from the zzr600 guys except for the heli bars which look nice. any one else have any experince with risers or other comfort type add-ons?I'm going to spend some time on the bike before i do anything drastic.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

+1^Rock. Keep your arms relaxed and put more emphasis (i.e. weight) on your legs and gut. The more weight you have on your wrists, the faster your fingers will get numb and your wrists will get that carpal tunnel feel. Always stay loose and able to move around a bit in the saddle as the situation may dictate. (Which is why I've never been wild about cruisers; in a panic situation, you're screwed.)

Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Well my first suggestion is to just sit on the back pegs and ride a stand up wheelie all the time but if that is the best option then maybe think about a tank pad or possibly a tank bag you can lay on. I love the comfort of mine and I've never shied away for any trip. I lay down on that tank pad and hope I don't fall asleep (not realy it's just that "comfortable" for me.) Check out Joe Rocket magnetic tank bags. Just a suggestion.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

changing posture so that your stomach hits the tank before your ***** will help with comfort and also take some weight off of your wrists. it takes a little getting used to but helps a lot. basicly makes your back straighter rather than hunched over the tank. its a more relaxed position for tooling around, not the best for cruising 80mph because it puts you out in the wind more.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM

great suggestions guys, thank you. I'm used to riding my old Honda and never had an issue with having to "adjust" posture. you just sit on the thing.

I'll give scootin' back a try and i was already in the market for a tank bag so i'll just speed the process up.