starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Default starter problems

now i seem to have a real problem my 2004 zzr1200 will not start but the motor runs fine. i was leaving the grocery store and tried to start it and just got an ugly sound from starter if it was a car i wold say the starter drive was not engaging.lucky there was a decent hill to start it on. pulled starter and took it apart all seems well the gear on starter clutch seems to work like book says free one way and not the other but it does seem to have some side to side play. it scares me that if the starter clutch is broken, looks like you have to open the case. i live in the dominican republic with no dealers here and i really am not set up to pull the whole motor apart i can not believe thay buried the starter clutch in side the case like that. hopefully someone out there can help. thanks mike

Last edited by zzcadillac; 08-02-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by zzcadillac
now i seem to have a real problem my 2004 zzr1200 will not start but the motor runs fine. i was leaving the grocery store and tried to start it and just got an ugly sound from starter if it was a car i wold say the starter drive was not engaging.lucky there was a decent hill to start it on. pulled starter and took it apart all seems well the gear on starter clutch seems to work like book says free one way and not the other but it does seem to have some side to side play. it scares me that if the starter clutch is broken, looks like you have to open the case. i live in the dominican republic with no dealers here and i really am not set up to pull the whole motor apart i can not believe thay buried the starter clutch in side the case like that. hopefully someone out there can help. thanks mike
Hi,

I have 1993 zzr1100 with exactly same issues. I replaced battery, starter motor and starter solenoid which made no difference so I too am looking at having to remove engine and splitting the cases to get to starter clutch, my bike only has 24000 miles on from new but was stored for past ten years. Good luck