HI

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:47 AM
Default HI

Hello everyone my name is Clay, I live in Louisiana. And I'm fairly new to the motorcycle scene. I have never had my own bike but I have ridden my friend's 01 Suzuki Katana 600 and another friend's 88 ZX-9r quite a bit so I have the basic's down pretty well. I'm not into the "stunt stuff" and am very sensible(although I'm sure once im comfortable there may be a few wheelies resulting from too much throttle. I'm 23yrs old and I am a Katrina victim, I lost everything in the storm including me and my dad's three businesses.

BUT!, I am starting over and putting the past behind me. I have alway's loved bike's and I finally purchased my own. I bought a 2000 Kawasaki ZR-7 for $1800. It has 18000mi on it and is in good shape. it has normal scratches from riding but mechanically is very sound as far as I could tell.(I am a Technician BTW). I'll be getting a new rear tire and replacing the brakes and brake fluid, then the fork oil. The engine look's old school. I had a 74 Kawi Z1 900 project I lost in katrina but the zr-7 engine looks very similar to the z1 900 motor.

I'm very excited to finally have my own bike! And will be attending a Basic MSF course at the local HD dealership then progressing to the advanced course and getting my Endorsement from the DMV. My dad alway's told me "no gear no ride" so before I go anywhere I'm going get me a nice helmet and Jacket. As far as mod's, first thing I'd like to do to it is put a nice pipe on it.. the best pipe i have heard yet is the D&D pipe so thats probably the one I'll get. but I'm gonna stick with the stocker for now.

Anyway Hello all! and please tell me anything I may need to check on this bike mechanically and what not, I don't want to get stranded on my new bike.
Thx
~Clay~

Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HI

well since it has been a month and no one has posted a reply to the hello i will. sorry to hear about the bad luck and im glad that you are moving on with everything.

personally i have always wanted a 7r just something about the looks does it for me, just plain old kawi style.

if you didnt get a manual with the bike that is the first place to start, it will tedll you at what interval to check everyhting.

as for as not getting stranded, check the main drive parts including chain etc.

good thing you are riding with gear too many idiots out there dont even own gear they like to ride in a hoddie and ball cap and sorry to sya that is one place we get a bad rep.

keep it safe and hope oyu enjoy the bike!!!

oh also you posted in the wrong area, the zx7r is a ninja model no a ZED

Old 02-17-2008, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

sorry it was late and i read the bike name wrong i thought you said zx7r not zr7 [:@]

Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF get a service manual it'll help alot!