Private 'Wanted' Classifieds Looking for something? Tell us!

94-00 klx250 cylinder head.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 94-00 klx250 cylinder head.

The area the cams ride on is toast. looks like motor was starved of oil. I need the cylinder head. I dont care if it has valves or not i just need it to be in working condition. Looking for cams as well. Its for a 94 but i believe any up till 00 will fit. Feel free to correct me if im wrong. Let me know what ya got and how much you want!
thanks
-jake

Old 06-14-2015, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I wish I had some information for you. You could do some research on the Kawasaki parts lists to see if head gaskets are matches, since that is the most likely to tell.

I'm kind of betting they will swap out on the 250s, but the newer ones have the suction reed set up for the pollution system. A simple block plate will take care of that and I happen to have them with gaskets for low buck if you find you should need one..

Look up the gaskets for your 94 and a couple of the newer 250s, same number means same cylinder, means possibly same head. I know all the LC 250/300 use the same cam chain tensioner, since I've sold for all years.

Edit - I did the quick look, the head gaskets are identical. Different head due to the reed set up, also the cam cover so you need the head, the cam cap, and the cover to bolt it on. I don't think anything attaches to the head, so it should work. You'd need the valves and all else to do so.

Last edited by klx678; 06-14-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I wish I had some information for you. You could do some research on the Kawasaki parts lists to see if head gaskets are matches, since that is the most likely to tell.

I'm kind of betting they will swap out on the 250s, but the newer ones have the suction reed set up for the pollution system. A simple block plate will take care of that and I happen to have them with gaskets for low buck if you find you should need one..

Look up the gaskets for your 94 and a couple of the newer 250s, same number means same cylinder, means possibly same head. I know all the LC 250/300 use the same cam chain tensioner, since I've sold for all years.

Edit - I did the quick look, the head gaskets are identical. Different head due to the reed set up, also the cam cover so you need the head, the cam cap, and the cover to bolt it on. I don't think anything attaches to the head, so it should work. You'd need the valves and all else to do so.
So basically id need the whole head assembly from a newer bike for it to work then a block off plate from you. but then it should work? that'll make the search easier thanks for the info!

Old 06-16-2015, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nhjake
So basically id need the whole head assembly from a newer bike for it to work then a block off plate from you. but then it should work? that'll make the search easier thanks for the info!
My only question would be if there is anything sticking out on the later model head that might hit on the earlier version bike. If you can, look at images on-line, manuals, anything possible to try to see if there is anything that might get in the way. The gasket pretty much makes it clear the pattern for everything else is the same. You could go on the Kawasaki web site and check out the head stud numbers and other parts to see if they match up. Be aware sometimes the numbers may not match, but the older number will supercede to the new number. That isn't uncommon. Check the following for matches - studs, cam chain, maybe the crank (rod length, since the cylinders don't match numbers for some reason or other).

You HAVE to get the cam cap with the head, they are a machined matched set. Getting the full assembly will be best, then just do a valve job with new seals on it to start new.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah i was thinking that too. i actually just bought on last night. for the right year so atleast i dont have to worry about that. the has it all apart. the valves are out already so i was thinking i might as well replace any seals i can while its apart. You have any idea what would be good ones to replace?

Old 06-20-2015, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Since you have it apart, have a valve job done. That essentially is making the head like new again. New seals and valves reseated, anything else that might need done, although that is pretty much all there is. They can look over the springs etc.

Good to hear there's another older bike still going.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Well trying to get it going hehe. Turns out the cylinder head i just bought was bunk. Got screwed out of 300 bucks. Awesome. So for anyone who may have one i am again in the market for a good working cylinder head.