Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

You guys told me it would happen sooner or later.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default You guys told me it would happen sooner or later.

I should have quit while I was ahead. Monday morning when I came to work, it was just a sheet of ice, and I eased it up the hill to work, and I guess I got lucky. Well this morning I was not that fortunate. When I left the driveway I could tell that it once again had rained and then froze slightly. I took it really easy down the residential street, and when I got to the highway which is only 45 in that part anyway, I was doing 30.

As I approached the road to work to take a right turn, I must have slowed down to like 5 turned in and instantly both tires slid out from under me faster than Rosie Odonnell running to the all you can eat table. It happened so fast, that I kept one leg up on the bike, and the other switched to a knee drag for 10 feet. Man that ice was absolutely as slick as oil. The hand guard on the right side hit the ground, and instinctively I tried to get the bike back upright as fast as I could, as if that would keep it from getting damaged any worse.

Nobody saw it since it was dark and I was the only one on the road. I guess from all the adrenaline, I fogged up my goggles, so off they came. I eased it up the hill, riding in the hard packed gravel on the edge, and pulled into the parking lot using as much of the lawn as I could. By this time my knee was really starting to hurt. I pulled up into the lighted loading dock where I park, and went to the shop to get the gear off. I pulled up my pant leg to see what I had done, and not only did my knee not even have a red mark, but my pants weren't even dirty!

Then I went out to look at the bike, and same thing, not even a scratch anywhere!. I guess I got lucky on that one. Funny thing I can ride to work in 20 degree weather, and the roads are as dry as they are in the summer, but you add rain in the night, then the clouds move out, and the temps drop, look out, not a good combination.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: You guys told me it would happen sooner or later.

HAHA.... I did that once..... playing on snow covered asphalt.... no good... glad u didnt get hurt old man... lol... The klx will take a pounding.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

glad to hear ur alright bro!! like they say it's not "IF" it's "when" your gonna crash. good deal on the no damage too.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

At least you're alright!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad your ok Deej, oh and the bike as well[8D]

Old 12-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea I didn't care about me, but the bike, that's another story.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad your ok buddy......It is quite slick out there right now....and i'm a few thousand miles from you....The one thing i love about my bike is that it doesn't inult my wallet if i drop it on blacktop .......no major plastics is awesome!.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear all is well, tomorrow you will feel it (things got used that havn't in a long time you just don't know it yet)
really glad you were on the road alone! around here, something really big would have been tailgating and not able to stop;
well that is until amotorcyclist is used for a wheelchalk [][]

Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad your ok. +1 on the beign on the road alone.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear you doing OK. I am curious? is your bike the only transportation you have? why dont you just drive the cage when the weather is like this? Ya! you got damm lucky not bent or broken pegs, brake or clutch handles. Damm Lucky!!!

Quick Reply: You guys told me it would happen sooner or later.