Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Why did i take the promotion

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Why did i take the promotion

Some one please tell me why i took this stupid promotion at dominos. Its about the same amount of base pay and the whole store is ghetto. And all my employees are worthless. I should just drop down to be a driver and then my headache and stress would go away. at the age of 23 im almost as grey as deej. Plus if i was just a driver i would make the same amount of money as i would now but less hours and same pay. The only way ill be making more money as a GM is if i bonus. And well im not bonusing cuz my damn store has no sales. the whole company is going under. Its depressing. And believe it or not its a very common thought in a lot of GMs heads. If i drop down to be a driver that would free up so much time. My brother is starting his own business hes a licenced therapist. All he needs is 40 clients and he makes 100k a year. Well after 40 clients he is gonna get anothre theirapist and build him up and so on and so on. And what i do is find the crazies LOL. Go talk to docs and schools and such. So then its all good. For me its a win win situation. Work full time for my brother and deliver pizzas. if hes making 100k a year then he pays my rent woohooo.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Why did i take the promotion

And thanks for letting me vent the only thing that is preventing me from dropping down to be a driver is the fact that my owner pays half of my insurance

Old 01-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Fn as I recall in our conversation yesterday, you need to get out of there before you do indeed get gray like me. Although my gray is not from stress. I have zero stress. I love my job, and after 13 years at the same place I look forward to going to work everyday and no two days are the same. I can't remember having a bad day. I guess I just got lucky. Like I said yesterday, if I was 18 coming out of school right now I would become an X-Ray Tech. Its only 2 years of school and you make mega bucks. But more than money, as an X-Ray Tech you can go anywhere and find work. Its a short supply for a large demand right now. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love being a Maintenance Mechanic II for the University, in fact its really close to what I always wanted to do as a kid. Hang in there man, it took me 5 jobs to land this one, and truth be told I didn't go to school, I was fortunate to be able to trade experience for schooling. That is not as easy to do now, but you can find something to make you happy. Let us know if we can do something to help man.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Good luck, FN. Being the boss sometimes isn't as glamorous as folks think. If you really don't like it, my recommendation is to start looking around but don't burn any bridges. I've been at my current job for over 10 years and love it, but nothing comes without sacrifice. The road to success is a toll road.

Also remember, there's not anyone out there looking out for you, you have to do that for yourself. Rely on yourself. Do what's best for you, and look out for yourself because no one else has your best interests at heart, except us here at KF. But certainly not your boss.

A good exercise is to find a quiet place and close your eyes and imagine where you want to be 5 years from now. Be detailed - what kind of place are you living in, what are your friends like, what kind of car/truck are you driving (bike), and so on and so on. Be realistic, i.e., no garage full of Porsches and a penthouse suite in Manhatten. Be realistic about what can be reasonably accomplished without winning the lottery. Then work backwards - what will it take, what changes can you make in order to make that reality? If you are on the right track for your vision, then great. If not, make a plan to get there.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Never step down, Always keep looking. Go into your next job interview with "I have management experiance, just trying to find a new outlet." instead of "I tried to manage a bunch of worthless a**holes, but they couldnt pay me enough to put up with it."

Experiance like that makes you a better person and a more hireable asset. Learn from it and move forward, not back. With your dedication and experiance you can make a lot more money, but you will have to go somewhere else to do it.

Make us proud you midget grunt lovin pizza *****.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

It all sounds like good advice fn...live the dream bro!

Old 01-26-2008, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

FN, you ever think of opening your own pizza shop, my roomate in College quit school and worked at a pizza shop called Gumbys in Gainesville.....after a while he became a GM like you ....about the same age. One day he just left town ..... paid me two months rent and went to look for an untapped pizza market.

Long story short he now owns three pizza shopsin three different college towns and is HAPPY. Dominos sucks. Get a good delivery job with an upscale pie shop in a fancy neighborhood, so you make some good flow. Then persue your long term goals/dreams and make a plan like Brian said.

I delivered about 1.2 million pizzas in Gainesville to get my engineer degree, it was tough but way fun at the same time.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

that sucks fn