Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

who out there plays the stock market?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

The only gambling i do is driving on the road with cagers. Thats the only risk that i take. Oh and i hang out with you guys, and thats risky enough.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I do gamble a little in the market with some "play money" all the real money gets invested in my portfolio automatically on a monthly basis.....been doing it since I graduated college, so it has grown quite a bit.

Now for noob investors I would recommend just putting some savings in a no-load index mutual fund.... start small, you can open a fund with $500 then set up an automatic withdraw out of your bank EVERY month for $50/mo. After a little time set up another index fund then repeat. Do this consistently and ignore the highs and lows .... and you will be set 20 years from now.

Now for gambling, I bought a chunk of Motorola (MOT) last night.....I'm thinking I should get 150% return in a couple months.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I buy a lot of gas stock every time I fill up...lol, j/k, but on a serious note my friend has been investing in silver since it was like 5 dollars a ounce now its like 16 dollars an ounce he made like 20k in buying something that will never lose value. I wish I would have listened to him then, cause now its hard to swallow buying it at 15-18 an ounce, but when the economy crashes it will sore to never before seen numbers. So if I where you I would invest in silver or gold, more so silver than gold just because how much gold is and the fact that silver is a depleting product.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Dude, Lemac comes out of hiding! What's up bro?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

not much dude just chilin in front of the pc b4 I call it a night. Whats going on man?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lemac
but on a serious note my friend has been investing in silver since it was like 5 dollars a ounce now its like 16 dollars an ounce he made like 20k in buying something that will never lose value. I wish I would have listened to him then, cause now its hard to swallow buying it at 15-18 an ounce, but when the economy crashes it will sore to never before seen numbers. So if I where you I would invest in silver or gold, more so silver than gold just because how much gold is and the fact that silver is a depleting product.
This type of opinion is the reason most noob investors lose their azzz. Buy low sell high not the other way around.

Commodities are falling like a slab **** on sugar sand.

Take a look, as of today silver is down to $14.1/oz....gold is down to $814/oz, from a high of almost $1000 check out this commodity chart, they are all falling hard.

See the trick is to buy BEFORE a trend starts just like your buddy did lemec....I bet he is already out of silver with cash in hand.

Now if you want to make money.....think....where is all this money that is leaving commodities going???? Guess right and you will make a lot.

The cycle is constant, tech stocks, real-estate, now commodities....whats next.

btw the S&P and other stock indexes have been rising inversely to the commodities....just sayin.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

so mullet, by the looks of that chart, in september they were actually giving the stuff away, paying you to take it?

Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I have no idea what chart that is, cause at no time this year was gold below the value it is now.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sup_uni
so mullet, by the looks of that chart, in september they were actually giving the stuff away, paying you to take it?
The chart is probably a percent change from some baseline, not absolute.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I guess Mullet was using that to show where it would have been good to invest, that's not the chart for precious metals.

Quick Reply: who out there plays the stock market?