Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

when do you decide a bike is a lost cause?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default when do you decide a bike is a lost cause?

when the guy you bought it off of tightend the cylinder head bolts in a circle so one nut is slightly more loose, causing your gasket to burn?
when you have to walk your melted bike 3miles home because you were riding alone?
when the burnt gasket lets all the water in the raidaitor into the rest of the engine, causing everything to rust?
when you spend $450 on a new topend and piston?
when the water rusts up the bearings so they baloon up, busting a bigass hole in your clutch cover?
when you spend $145 on a new clutch cover?
when you finally put it all back together, and get exteremely excited, kick the starter and hear the gearbox killitself... then look down and see the shifter hanging limp?

thats as far as i got. needless to say im ripsh!t. but on the bright side... later on in the year when i replace it, i'll never have to worry about purchasing a replacement part everagain... i got a whole damn bike just lying halfway down my driveway leaking gas and rust ooze everywhere[8D]

Old 05-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: when do you decide a bike is a lost cause?

What bike are we talking about? Or am I retarded and I just read the post too fast? Don't answer that. the retarded part.[8D]

Old 05-02-2008, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Whatever bike that is sounds like a lost cause alright. Just bury it quick!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

That sucks man...

Old 05-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats rough...... i think i would light it on fire......

Old 05-02-2008, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

its the kx. that fukking hunk of scrap metal has seen its last dollar. im gonna part it out on craigslist to get what i can for it, then keep the rest as scrap for my other bikes.

bright side: i now never have to worry about "but i still need $ to fix the kx..." im looking at some prestine 250's right now.

heres 2
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/646411371.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/664801468.html

edit: second link didnt work

Old 05-02-2008, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

thats rough...... i think i would light it on fire......
btw, i have i spilt some gas out of the carb and decided f-this and threw a match...[sm=bangbang.gif] the boom rode the fumes and ate the whole bike for a few seconds. the sad part is that the only thought on my mind was "i wonder if this is coverd by my insurance... that'd be so fuggen sweet"[8D]

Old 05-03-2008, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member

ha.. sounds like this crunchy *** KX in my shop right now.

imo... dude got completely assraped for for having to pay $500. for the equivalent to a rolling chassis.
i got the bike, a 90(ish?) KX250 in at about the beginning of the month. everything but the lower case and internals were given to me in a box.

i have a 3 page parts list..lol

new piston-check
rings-check
rebored/honed-check
gasket-yeppers, base and head gasket.
gasket kit for (top end)-uh huh

the headhad to bemilled .040"!!!!! thats unbelieveable.. 40 friggin thousandsths cuz whoever put the sleeve in the last time pre-bored it crooked, and the sleeve sunk into the head almost .090". that, in turn caused the head gasket to blow, causing massive carnage. the piston was pitted and trash.

40 thou was as much as i could take without trashing the jug..lol that, and not needing like 2 or 3 more base gaskets.

and the thing is, i subbed that out. i don't have a bridgeport..lol and the guy who did it is a renouned bike mechanic here.. so, that overhead made it a lil more than what it was honestly worth for my customer.

the oil plug was fuggin sheared off.. the threads were still in the lower case. i had to drill it and use a bolt extractor on it..

i'm sure it didn't hold oil very well.

i just removed the motor to do this.

the thing was CAKED in mud.. probably never saw a bath in years. just no maintenance or care for the machine at all.

oh. it sat in pieces for 6 months in someones garage.. yeah.. God knows what made it into the case.

i went thru a few cans of brakleen on this bastid already.. not to mention that the wires coming from the stator were cut like the rider hit a branch or something, and it sliced a wires in the casing.

carb looked like it was thrown in a field and run over. alot. all day.
it was missing (how the hell... i dunno) the idle adj screw.

power valve gear was stripped.

reed valves.. dear God, you shoulda seen em. lmao. wow.. trashed wasn't even the word. nice minty carbon fiber boysene pieces in, now.

thetop endwas SOO carboned up, it took 2 cans of brakleen, and about 4 hours of dremel and scraper time to get it clean.

trashed front brake master cylinder. the lever is held in by 2 rusty *** washers and a tiny self-tapper.

got a used, good condition one ready to go on tomorrow.

have a new set of clutch plates soaking right now for tomorrow, also.

oh.. reminds me that the damn clutch cable bracket thats cast into the upper case half was broken clean off, leaving NOTHING for the cable to sit on and rest/pull against.. just a tiny little bit of the holder was left, which required some crafty metal fabrication. made a nice little plate that holds the cable snug in the factory spot.
hm.. what else..

clutch, power valve, gaskets, piston, front brake m/c, new lever bolts, spark plugs, reeds, head/sleeve work, wiring repair, carb clean/tune/repair, clutch cable holder repair, oil plug, rings, wrist pin,rod bearing,new gas/oil mix to replace 3 year old chit, case oil,..

oh.. the kickstarter only 1/4 *** works.. not even halfass.. i'd be happy with halfass, actually. chances are that thing's trashed as well, rendering new gearing for it...lol

got to run it for a few minutes.. not even enough to break it in.. sounded really healthy, but still, this things a crunchy-*** bucket.

who knows what i'll uncover tomorrow moring when i do the ckutch, and see why it's dragging horribly, and why the kicker barely works. oh.. and he broughtme a '00 EX250 shaft drive with a blown motor.. oh, YAY.. thats gonna be fun.. and he wants a clutch in his magna.

this guy's gonna make me rich..lol.. glad HE's got the money for all this crap..lol

but honestly, i woulda told that seller to stick it up his *** sans lube for $500. knowing that he'll spend almost $900 on parts, labor and accessories to get it back into shape.

the quad has sentimental value, buttheres something catastophic with it.. it's completely locked up. that won't be cheap..lol

you DO hafta really wonder when to just say, nah.. like its just not justifyable.. i think this (now, almost totally) resurrected KX should been a $150 project. pisses me off tho to think that the dude who sold it KNEW it was uber crunchy, and somehow he raped my man for 500 bucks.. a. how can that dude sleep at night. b. what the hell was the buyer thinking.

i dunno.. as evil and maybe wrong as it sounds right now, i kinda depend on beat-*** bikes and ppl who don't plan ahead or maintain their machines, tho..lol i can provide a service, which in turn keeps me fat and sheltered, and the bike fed. lol

i mean, i'm glad i got the job, so i guess it all works out.. it's putting gas in the tank, keepin the phone on, and putting pizzas in the fridge.
[&:]

Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kx slaughter king
btw, i have i spilt some gas out of the carb and decided f-this and threw a match...[sm=bangbang.gif] the boom rode the fumes and ate the whole bike for a few seconds. the sad part is that the only thought on my mind was "i wonder if this is coverd by my insurance... that'd be so fuggen sweet"[8D]
The only thought on my mind is, "Where's the video?!?"

Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whitehendrix

you DO hafta really wonder when to just say, nah.. like its just not justifyable.. i think this (now, almost totally) resurrected KX should been a $150 project. pisses me off tho to think that the dude who sold it KNEW it was uber crunchy, and somehow he raped my man for 500 bucks.. a. how can that dude sleep at night. b. what the hell was the buyer thinking.

yeah, i hate asholes that try to rip people off at the last minute. i paid $650 for mine and it was in pretty good shape (mechanically) when i testdrove it. the externals were beat, but im about performance, not pretty. than, i rode for less than an hour and it commited suicide. i swore revenge on him, and now that i have a lisence and dont need my parents to drive upstate.... he did have a SWEET decked out 05 blaster in his front lawn.......[&:][&:] lol, payback is a bitch my friend[sm=devilgrin.gif]

p.s. kx's are great bikes, but once theyre dead... theyre gone.

Quick Reply: when do you decide a bike is a lost cause?