Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

What's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default What's the difference?

So I registered over on this site,http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/(don't hate) and I am now wondering why here at our forums everything runs so slow? [&:] Seriously!! When I post on a thread and hit the OK button it shows and posts so fast you couldn't even time it with a stop watch I don't care how fast you tried. It loads so fast that if you blinked, you would miss it. Can someone here explain some of the reason that would cause out site to run so slow. Even to edit it was lightning fast. It was as if I was on the fastest DSL or cable modem connection ever know to man. I really think we need to get rid of the Whoring thread and the HOTD and let the pages start over. I mean who really goes and reads all that stuff? I'm just throwing ideas out there, but if our sit ran as fast as the one referenced above, we would all be sitting in butter....not literally but you know what I mean.[8D]

Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What's the difference?

deej when im on my company computer this site is quick as *****,,, i have not problem but when im on my home computer(old junk) its super slow,, i think its all about the internet connection but thats weird that this sight is slow to you and the other isnt.. (Trader) lmao

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually unless you are on a 56 k connection still I don't think it has anything to do with your Internet connection. I mean at work I have a full T-1, and at home I have a waaaaaaay faster 10mb connection and they are both slow for me when I'm on this site. I just think it has to do with all of the pictures or posts that the site has to load.But I guessit may have something to do with all the places it has to go through to get wherever. But why the difference from one site to another? Not sure.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

deej, i think its mozilla... cus some times when i click a thread link it never loads (literally... ill wait days) but if i hit the "go back" and "go forward" buttons in sequence a few times it all loads in about half a second

Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What’s the difference?

There are several factors which can impact this. One of course is who the internet providor is on your end. Typically at work or home, an entire page from this forum loads within 2 to 3 seconds. Never slow at all, really.

Another factor is the internet providor on the server end. If they have small pipe (like Worlock hahaha, sorry had to), more people hitting it at the same time would appear "slower". If they provide web hosting to multiple clients, and any of them are remotely large - then that too will have a dramatic impact, especially at certain times of the day.

Another factor is the message database. I noticed a few days ago that the server was giving an error indicating that the database was full and needed to be purged. This forum has been around for a long time, and the sheer number of posts and threads can be overwhelming depending on the size of disk, amount of ram, CPU horsepower, and even the speed of disk, memory and cpu bus speeds. While you and I look at a topic and see one thread with all the posts, that is not how the database manages it. It is still a giant, flat file which contains ALL the posts from this forum.

When you click on a thread name, or a page number, it generates a query job for the database software. The "job" is tasked with looking through the entire file - hundreds of thousands of lines long, and extracting all the posts with a specific thread ID #. It then needs to sort all those by post #, and then hand it off to the web server portion of the server, which then generates the code to display the page you see in front of you.

The web server part is actually not very intensive at all - it is the database management part that is the most resource intensive, because it has to load that entire file into memory in order to "look" at it, and whatever can't fit, it swaps to disk as temporary memory until it needs it. This all happens thousands of times a second, and the larger the database is, and the lower the memory is and the slower the cpu is and the slower the disk is - it all adds up.

This is one of the reasons why you guys see me harp about duplicate threads and posts sometimes, and also why you *rarely* see me upload a picture vs. hotlinking to one offsite.

As the whole thing is "free"... being - on someone else's dime - we really don't have a lot of room to bitch. Hardware is pretty cheap these days, and yeah, I'd be more than happy to donate a system, or parts, a few bucks, or hell - even host the forum on equipment and bandwidth I have here for free. The expensive part comes in the server software and the database software.

Depending if it uses cold fusion, sql, oracle or whatever else - a single site like this can costs THOUSANDS in software. There is always the "illegal" way to do it, but sites who host those, and companies who use them usually don’t stick around too long before getting into some sort of trouble with an audit.

Just some stuff to consider For the $ - I am more than happy with the performance I get out of this site. If I were waiting 30+ seconds for a page to load, then I would bitch... but right now - anything under 10 is a hell of a lot faster than I can read.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What&\\;amp\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;rsquo\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ ;s the difference?

ok... my post isn’t being parsed properly for some reason.&amp\\;nbsp\\; Not sure why... but okie doke.&lt\\;br&gt\\;&lt\\;br&gt\\;Sigh.&lt\\;br&gt\ \;

Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What&\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;amp\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\;rsquo\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;s the difference?

Thanks Sro, I actually read that whole thing, and now..........I need to go lay down, my head hurts.&nbsp\\; So what you're saying is that the Internet doesn't revolve around my personal connection? ......I suppose next you're gonna say that the universe doesn't revolve around me.....Never mind I don't want to know.[8D]

Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What&\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;amp\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

you could try purging some files on here like all the registered users that havent posted in over a year. ( dont know if that will help or not. would more space on the server help?

Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What&\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;amp\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Fixed my post... seems to be holding this time.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

start the big threads over, see if it helps. imo

Quick Reply: What's the difference?