Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

What are your temps, and are you still riding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
14 degrees out this morning, and yes I rode. Although I only have 2 miles to work, but still, its cold enough to give you an instant headache. I should start wearing my full face helmet.
I don't do cold start 2 mile trips - especially when it's cold. Better to walk as it's not good for the motor.

I ride all Winter.

Summer riding gear is Textile jacket with armour, boots gloves and helmet over jeans and t-shirt. Early Winter, when morning temperatures are below 40 degrees, I zip the liner into my jacket. At 30 I put a balaclava under my helmet to keep the draughts out and add a pair of windproof overtrousers to keep the wind chill off my knees.

Below about 15 I don't take the bike out, but if I am out and it gets colder I'll ride home down to about 5F as long it's dry. If it's wet as well, I try to stop riding at around freezing.

I do do long trips in these conditions though - sometimes up to 600 miles in a day for a business trip. 8 or 10 hours riding for a 1 hour meeting lol. Did a 180 mile round trip over the Peak district on Monday in about 40F. Lovely sceniic route. Half way home it started to really **** down. I didn't enjoy that bit lol. Had to ask a local cop for directions as all the roads around my destination are vanishing under a redevelopment. Local cop didn't know, but a passer by said 'you're standing in front of it'. Building was a 9 storey mini-tower standing on its own and sticking out like a sore thumb. Cop didn't know the name of the street we were standing on either. Cop looked sheepish.

Today's very mild for the time of year - about 45F. Damp though, and dark for both morning and afternoon commutes. Traffic spray plasters your visor and oncoming headlights refract all over it. Not nice.

It's just what you're used to. In hot weather - anything above 80 - I take the car and turn up the air con unless I can be sure of keeping up a fairly high speed. We don't see much hot over here.

Rob

Old 12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I'm proud of you, Deejer!!!! Get out there and ride!!! That's the stuff which makes me feel like a kid; don't fall into the "Oh, gee, it's not ideal conditions, I'd better not ride today."
You go, man!!!
(Worlok, I would be "crazy" enough to do it. Sounds like Deej is, too.)

Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I have just got to the point, that if it isn't comfortable, I dont do it! After a lifetime of riding, I guess i'm getting picky!

Old 12-10-2009, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

^ You my friend are just like me! I will not ride unless I am comfy monkey. If I am the least bit inconvenienced by the weather my butt does not hop on that saddle.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is my ride. Had to give up the bike until I can recoop financially.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Worlok14
Boo yah, I'll take the new camaro!
I think the Camero looks like a squished Caddy. Thought they could have got a lot closer to the original lines like ford did the mustang and dodge did the challenger.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chik636rydr

Here is my ride. Had to give up the bike until I can recoop financially.
Nice !!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Tanks tanks . her name is Juicy Fruit.

She has two trophies under her belt for best of show.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Niiiiice ride baby girl! That is a good name for her, I like that!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

30s...less than 6 miles to work so not enough time for the tires to even warm up...bikes are up for the season...

Quick Reply: What are your temps, and are you still riding?