Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

What do you guys think...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default What do you guys think...

Ok i have never made a big trip on a bike, im hoping some of you have.... My inlaws asked me and my wife and my sister inlaw to go on vacation down at the outer banks area, well somewhere down there, to rent a house for a week and just have fun. Of course we wanna go,we just have to see if we can arrange something for our dog.... I was maybe thinking that it would be cool to ride down on the honda, google says 9.5 hours approximately. What do you guys feel for trips like that... it would be nice cause id have the bike down there for the week also. I think it would be a cool trip to make on the bike... any suggestions? any things i may have not thought about... I know that i would have more gas stops and such. The age of the bike kinda concerns me, or do you guys think that with only 6600 miles on it it will be fine? Any input would be good. thanks.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What do you guys think...

I think you should go on the bike and have a good time. It's going to be the start of a new addiction for you.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

take the bike. take it a mechanic and see if they would trust it or something like that

Old 02-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

dude that 750 has some big *****.... im gonna have to get the kahunas up to push it..... alot more than my little 250 thumper.....

Im thinking about taking the bike, and leaving before everyone else, and have my wife or father in law follow me in my truck incase somethign happens.....

Old 02-25-2008, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Just open the throttle and get there before the bike has time to break!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

The Bike will be fine. Naturally you know the second you feel any little bit of fatigue you know to pull over and take a break for a minimum of 15 minutes. I have done a straight 8 hour ride on my zx10r and mileage Ive covered was in excess of 500 miles. Just remember to take breaks every hour or every 100 miles which is a good rule of thumb. Pack a tire patch kit, firstaid kit, and some extra clothes and water. The ride that I took was a total of about 1100 miles to and from my destination and it was a two day event.

But like you said, plan for gas and chart it out on a map, gas, food, raod assistance, should something present itself. Have fun man and let us know what you do?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Would the bike bother any of you? a 28 year old bike? but it only has 6600 miles on it.... im going to ride it alot before this trip.... that would be the only thing that would concern me..... Ill keep you guys up to date..... Not sure if i wanna take the wife for that long on the bike..... she says it would be a cool experience.... but i dont know. she may not be able to handle that long. I think ill be fine.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm considering taking a six hour trip on the bike to see my parents this year. If I do, I will definitely buy a seat pad since my *** gets very numb after an hour on the 250.

So, I would say go for it! As long as you are well prepared, nothing should stop you.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Would the bike bother any of you? a 28 year old bike? but it only has 6600 miles on it.... im going to ride it alot before this trip.... that would be the only thing that would concern me..... Ill keep you guys up to date..... Not sure if i wanna take the wife for that long on the bike..... she says it would be a cool experience.... but i dont know. she may not be able to handle that long. I think ill be fine.
as long as she has been kept tip top the bike will be fine. Does the bike have a history of hicups? breakdowns? troubles in general?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

got the bike a month ago.... have even ridden it yet..... 600$

Quick Reply: What do you guys think...