Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Waterboarding, is it torture?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Waterboarding, is it torture?

I have never heard of this form of torture, or whatever it is. It does not look like it would hurt, and I can't believe that this guy caves in at about 5 seconds. There must be something about it that just freaks the boardee right out.
All I know is that if I ever get my bike stolen, and I am pretty sure about who did it. I'm going to use this method for a confession.
I think Jrock needs to try this to see if it really works!

http://content1.clipmarks.com/conten...-3A07CF501B7C/

Old 05-14-2009, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I've never seen a people like the spoiled westerners that would rather see their own people die than put a terrorist in an uncomfortable position.

Mike

Old 05-14-2009, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Hell I would rather be waterboarded, than locked up in a room with that ole zombie dude at the bottom of all your posts. That dude looks like a retired Zombie. Or maybe he partied with Jrock and he's just stoned and paralyzed........LOL

Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I have a buddy who is a cop. During their training they have to be pepper sprayed close range in the face, eyes, and mouth, so they know what it feels like and don't use it ***** nilly unless actually necessary to subdue someone. He said the trainers did it too to show them it is survivable. He said it really really sucked and burns like hell. He said the stuff they use is a lot more potent than what you can buy "over the counter," so to speak.

Later in their training they got to get tazed. He said the trainers for that did not demo it on themselves because it hurts too freaking much, but they had been through it before during their training. Once is enough. He said it lasts for 5 seconds and it was the most intense pain he has ever felt in his life and couldn't imagine anything worse. When it was done, it was like intense euphoria that it stopped and even pulling out the fishhook barbs felt like pleasure in comparison to the tazing itself, that's how bad the tazing was.

It's all relative, I guess. That waterboarding doesn't look too bad. They say there is no real danger of drowning because the water won't flow upwards into your lungs. But it's hard to say how bad it really is unless you actually do it. And I'm sure it's not all nice and calm with everybody speaking in soft tones when they do it to the prisoners. Duh.

I'm betting the guys administering the water-boarding have had it done and they know what it's like. But I doubt the higher ups that order it done to others have ever had it done to them. They should know what its like, too, IMO. But whether it's necessary or not to protect national security, I'll leave that to people smarter than me, I have no idea.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah bro, it's hard to figure. I would think it would be more effective to put the rag over their face, pour some water up their nose, then just bust him in the head with a hammer. That would get results for sure.
I dont think I could just stand there and get tear gassed or tazed, and not just start kicking peoples *** all over the place. That would **** me right off man. Only a cop would be dumb enough to do that.....LOL

Old 05-14-2009, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Interesting Opines

I'm surprised you would say that nobrakes.....do you think the cia would employ a method (water boarding) that does not give the reciepient the illusion of emminent death.....that would kind of defeat the purpose of getting info from them .... No?

Trust me .... it is torture...Is it necessay??? I don't know.

Just remember, if we do it to our enemies...they will do it to US captives with impunity....not saying they may not do worse ... regardless. But imagine, if they say...well we can do this to US soldiers because they do it to our captives.....though call in my book.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes-
With respect, you're talking about law enforcement. The enhanced interrogation methods are part of a war.

I'd rather pour water up the nose of a terrorist than watch my fellow countrymen leap to their death from a burning world trade center. I don't need to empathize with the enemy to sleep well at night. I'll sleep comfortably at night knowing that we have men doing everything they can to prevent backward, third world, religious fanatics from waging war on western civilization.

Westerners are once again spoiled and insulated from an evil and ugly enemy, due in part to the effectiveness of enhanced interrogations.

Check out what former CIA Director Michael Hayden had to say recently about the enhanced interrogations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG9l0kUxtk0

Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
I'm surprised you would say that nobrakes.....do you think the cia would employ a method (water boarding) that does not give the reciepient the illusion of emminent death.....that would kind of defeat the purpose of getting info from them .... No?

Trust me .... it is torture...Is it necessay??? I don't know.

Just remember, if we do it to our enemies...they will do it to US captives with impunity....not saying they may not do worse ... regardless. But imagine, if they say...well we can do this to US soldiers because they do it to our captives.....though call in my book.
I reckon you are right. It must be pretty terrifying. Probably better than bamboo shoots under your fingernails, though, all things considered.

I definitely agree with you though that if it is our policy to treat prisoners that way, we should expect no less or even worse for our own in their hands. Where does it end? Of course, we saw civilian heads sawed off with butcher knives and recorded and shown for all the world to see just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time in the hands of some of these kooks. So I doubt our guys are treated any differently. We (as a species) think we're so smart and civilized. Civilization is merely a facade to our true nature. Will to survive trumps everything.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

KDXmike, I never said I empathized with terrorists. And as to whether torture was necessary or not, I said I don't know. That's as honest as I can be about that. My response before was more to whether that was torture or not. I think it is. Probably mild compared to what goes on routinely elsewhere, though.

I do think you are right about one thing, though. Most people in this country have a Disney Land view of the world. That can be shattered rather quickly. Just look at New Orleans, post Katrina. Pretty dark times.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Weird what mankind has come up with to hurt each other. I heard the term for like a year but never looked it up. I Googled it the other day and it don't sound fun. Even the guys on Myth Busters did an episode about it, and they said it was so bad that they felt like they were going to go crazy. That's messed up.