Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Useless Thread, " Finding It "

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Useless Thread, " Finding It "

Dammit... I can't wait to get home and un-store (that's my new word... like it? Too bad, you can't use it) my baby.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

how much longer are you going to be deployed?

Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

about 8-10 more months

Old 02-15-2008, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Im telling you, Uncle Sam needs to build a track for our troops. It is cruel and unusual punishment not to allow bikers to ride. They need to keep a bunch of ZX6's and 10's so all of the guys could have a track day every day. With all the money we are pissing away over there, the cost would be negligable in comparison.
Let's write our senators or the pres. or whomever could help.

My 2 cents.........Worlok14

Old 02-15-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that'll really happen. It doesn't matter how many letters get written, that wouldn't happen. Hell, the military doesn't approve of motorcycles. I got harassed at the gate coming on post so many times just while I was on leave that I wanted to choke somebody. I'm gonna get on my soap box for a minute...
The problem the military has with motorcycles is a simple one. Right now, we have a rediculous ammount of troops over here in Iraq, and in Afghanistan. We are all getting paid quite a bit extra, and we aren't paying taxes. This, combined with the fact that there's really nowhere to spend our money, means that it's pretty easy to save money over here (unless married) and most of us come home with a pretty nice chunk of change saved up. A lot of these guys are interested in getting their first motorcycle when they get home, and quite a few are into the sportbikes. What happens is they come home, buy the biggest, baddest, fastest bike they can get, and they don't have the experience to tame it. When they get the bike, they have a tendancy to try and show up more experienced riders, and they get themselves killed within a week or two (in some cases, a day or two). Every time this happens, the military gets closer and closer to banning motorcycles from post/base. Everytime a soldier gets killed, the military adds another stupid rule that has to be followed in order to ride. Not all of the rules are stupid, granted. As it is now, in order to ride you have to wear long pants, long sleeved shirt, helmet, full-fingered gloves, over the ankle boots, and a reflector belt to make you more visible. I totally agree with these rules. They are made to keep us safer, and I won't fault Uncle Sam for them. Where it gets stupid is the inspection that they are starting to perform every time a sportbike comes up to the gate. I have ridden my wife's Vulcan off post countless times, and have never had a problem. As soon as I got my ZZR, the gate guards started giving me a hard time. They look for any reason they can find to not let me on post. It's irritating.
That being said, I'll get off my soap box now and put it away.[sm=rant.gif]

Old 02-15-2008, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I find IT everyday.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Youare a truly fortunate dude, dude. You must live in a great climate unlike us poor old riders in Yankeeland.

Worlok14

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

RR, that really sucks! You would think that considering the danger that the military puts you guys in, motocycles would be a minor threat.
Oh well, what do I know.

Hang in there Bro...........Worlok14

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

That's what I don't understand... they'll put us in a combat zone, but when we are at home, they try to make motorcycle ownership such a hassle that nobody wants to ride, because riding is too dangerous. It's BS

Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

That's because they have to much time, money and effort spent on training you so they don't want to loose military men/women to an unfortunate accident on leave. My brother was in the Navy for 8 years and had the same problems in Norfolk with his bike.

Quick Reply: Useless Thread, " Finding It "