Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

US - 9 out of 10 people have firearm

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: US - 9 out of 10 people have firearm

I'd post up some pics of mine, but they are on my laptop, which my wife still has to mail to me on tuesday. It's cool though. It's an M-16 with a 40mm grenade launcher mounted underneath.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

My post was a humble attempt to explain the INTENDED purpose of the First Amendment.
Its the 2nd ammendment. I dont have a gun but i would like to get one they are just so freaking expesnive

Old 02-18-2008, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

stats based purely on the number of registered guns vs the population are total bunk and useless drivel.

that being said i do own a 12 gauge and when money isn't so tight i will be adding a hand gun to my arsenal.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: niklucas

the fact is you are less likely to get shot in a country where there are strict gun control rules, but then again this doesn't mean that theres less crime just because there is less guns. You might get stabbed instead and then you're just as dead.
Nothing could be further from the truth. An area of governmental control in which there are overly-strict gun control laws is actually prone to higher chances of gun-related violence. Cases in point: IL, CA, NY, DC, NJ

All these states have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the entire country - and guess what? Most of these states battle it out every year for the highest gun-related crimes and gun-related deaths and violent crimes *every* year. The first year I lived in IL there were 603 murders. When a government disarms it's citizens - they do not magically become safer as common, law-abiding citizens. They become easy prey, sitting ducks, or however you want to call it... they become defenseless victims.

I don't like it anymore than you do - but the fact of the matter is just as someone else posted the very old saying: When you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns. An armed community is a more polite community... and many folks think twice before doing something stupid and harmful to someone else as there does exist the potential that their would-be victim may invoke his or her fundamental right to defend themself.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 srobak

I'm pretty sure DC and baltimore maryland have some of the most strict gun control laws inthe nation (heck even tazers are illegal for self deffense) and gues who has some of the worst violent crime rates.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Of all of our rights as U.S. citizens stated by the Constitution, it's Amendments, Bill of Rights do you guys only seem to care about the 2nd Amendment. It's so easy to buy a gun (at least here in Arizona) yet so hard for you to voice your concerns about the direction this country is going and to do something about it in a positive manner? Do you really think as long as you have a gun you're safe? Are there that many people gunning for you? I think you guys watch too much news and violent movies!

Old 02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kawikathy

Of all of our rights as U.S. citizens stated by the Constitution, it's Amendments, Bill of Rights do you guys only seem to care about the 2nd Amendment. It's so easy to buy a gun (at least here in Arizona) yet so hard for you to voice your concerns about the direction this country is going and to do something about it in a positive manner? Do you really think as long as you have a gun you're safe? Are there that many people gunning for you? I think you guys watch too much news and violent movies!
guns were just the topic of this particular discussion.

the direction of the country as a whole has a lot more to do with the downfall of our social structure, the pussification of our culture, and the lack of responsability people take for their own actions (or inaction).

but most of that has little to do with a portion of our society trying to elminate a specific constitutional right. (althought this latest trend of removing God from money, schools, historic documents, etc is highly disturbing to me)

Old 02-18-2008, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

[The Gun Fact Book] is just quoting some selected facts taken out of wider context toback upa previously stated thesis.
I'm sorry you feel that way - because again - that is not at all true. These are cold, hard numbers collected over a number of years by the very organizations and agencies which at first were doing so only to try and show exactly how evil the gun truly is. This backfired.

saying that gun registration will lead to gun confiscation and giving **** Germany as an example is sooo stretched
I agree. So let's use Canada and Australia as recent examples. Canada had a good idea to force massive registrations of all firearms about 10 years back. 3 years later - they outlawed handgun ownership across the entire country. Within 12 months after Canada outlawed handgun possession and the government came by to scoop them all up, or otherwise law-abiding citizens turned them all in - gun crime skyrocketed 35%. Australia had the same thing happen a few years earlier - it rocketed up 65%, then settled back down to be only 45% above what it was when law-abiding citizens were allowed to posses guns. Note - Not even carry... just posses in their homes.

Think about it... I am a career criminal... how safe do I feel breaking into homes or robbing people on the street if I live in Texas or Florida? Not too much, considering those states have some of the most lax gun laws in the US. Now... if I lived in Canada, select states in the US, or Australia - I would feel a lot more comfortable breaking in to the home of Joe E. Law-abider, or robbing him on the street without any risk to myself, or true repurcussions.

The point of registration is to limit the number of guns, period.
This statement flies in the face of every government statement regarding registration since the beginning of time. It is also the most truthful... which is only demonstrated later in the timeline. Registration does nothing to limit the number of guns at the time it is implemented. Making me register guns (which I do agree with) does not stop me in any way from purchasing 1, or 101 of them. In effect - as you have already been cleared to purchase a gun - registering it accomplishes nothing, as you already had it.

You may view you right to bear arms as your fundamental right and its OK, since you are a responsible and non violent individual (right? j/k ), but what I'm concerned about is the fact that some nut who draws swastikas on walls and dreams of gutting his classmates has that right too. You see where I'm getting.
Yes and no. You are mis-applying where the point of control needs to be at. You are claiming that registering the guns after the fact will stop this. Plain and simply - it won't. Guns which this person already has will not be affected, even once registered - IF registered. The point of control needs to be at the sale, which is regulated by a federally mandated background check already in this country.

Plain and simple - law-abiding citizens who purchase firearms in whatever law-abiding process the state and country has are NOT the people who are going to go out and commit crimes, nor will the criminals who have obtained their weapons illegally going to commit their crimes with legally registered firearms. You see where *I* am getting?

Old 02-18-2008, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kawikathy

Do you really think as long as you have a gun you're safe?
Not at all. In fact - I would rather be wasting my energy in fighting something which kills more people in a single state in a single year, than all the gun crime in the entire country put together over a span of 5 years:

DRUNK DRIVING

That is a FAR bigger problem than gun control ever will be... and it continues to be ignored at large by the government, and the citizens of this country. People cry and complain when something happens - but nobody does anything to change it. Changing the limit from .1 to .08 accomplishes absolutely nothing, as everyone I have ever stopped from drunk driving was nowhere between that range to begin with (well over, in fact), and of all the officers polled when Indiana put that law into effect - none indicated they had stops within the previous 5 years that were within that range.

A car makes for a MUCH more efficient and lethal "bullet" than one fired from a personal weapon ever could be. Just as the 8 people who were killed the other day along with the 16 injured while watching a race. If I ever lost it and wanted to go on a killing spree - a gun would be my LAST choice.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting.

Quick Reply: US - 9 out of 10 people have firearm