Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Truck Problems (Updated)

Old 02-09-2008, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Truck Problems

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

Did it try to start with the Starting fluid? Are you getting fuel and or good fuel pressure? Those vehicles are critical on correct fuel pressure. At temps that cold, the fuel line could have frozen if there was any water in it or in the tank. Check all your EFI, ECM andIGN fuses.An iced up fuel pump can blow a fuse due to too much current draw.
Nothing happened at all with the starting fluid I even sprayed it straight down the throttle body, the engine just spun and never hit. Its a TBI so I can watch the injectors fire fuel down the intake, no problems there, I did check all fuses and computer codes no problems on either one.

The pick-upcoil on the distributer is the only ignition part I havent changed but I tested it and it is within specs. From what I hear they are kinda involved to change out, but I might give it a shot this weekend (not like I'm going anywhere, but there is supposed to be a blizzard so it would be nice to not be working in it)

Old 02-09-2008, 06:25 AM
1st Gear Member

stupid suggestion but sometimes the simplist is the problem. Do you need a new airfilter

Old 02-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

there is no check engine codes in the comp?? cars these days have so many sensors.... i had a 89 beretta and it would just quit driving down the road and wouldnt start for like 20 mins... it was crank sensor, have had problems with igniton modules, same thing, seemed like a temperature thing, maybe its the actual computer.... ever think of that? i know its pricey, but it always a possibility, maybe its sending a weak signal.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: firstninjabike

stupid suggestion but sometimes the simplist is the problem. Do you need a new airfilter
Simple is good, but to get back to the ignition crapI took the air filter off, sothe throttle bodywas completely unobstructed during testing

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

there is no check engine codes in the comp?? cars these days have so many sensors.... i had a 89 beretta and it would just quit driving down the road and wouldnt start for like 20 mins... it was crank sensor, have had problems with igniton modules, same thing, seemed like a temperature thing, maybe its the actual computer.... ever think of that? i know its pricey, but it always a possibility, maybe its sending a weak signal.
I replaced the ECM (Engine Control Module)yesterday before posting it was the only partI hadn't changed/tested, and it was only $70. No codes after replacing either.

I can only think that I'm on the wrong track or one of the "New" parts was f'd up. GonnaDouble check the ground then go get another new coil I think, but probably not today or tomorrow. Currently its -9 with wind chill of -38 and WC should be -45 tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Timing appearantly. I was used to my nissan distributer mount which only allows the distributer to move about 30 degrees, whereas the mount on a chevy 350 allows it to rotate 360 degrees, so i didnt even notice that it was about 60 degrees off untillI pulled it out. so apearantly the bolt holding it down broke loose, or was not properly installed in the first place, and the distributer waited for the coldest day possible to rotate outside of the operational range...

Oh well, its running now

Old 04-09-2008, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I told you a month ago to check the timing on the distributor

Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I know,I know. You were right [sm=hail.gif]