Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Trooper tells caller seeking help for motorcycle accident, 'Too bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:20 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Trooper tells caller seeking help for motorcycle accident, 'Too bad

its sad that they don't even have to meet snell standords for the usa. They have to meet dot standords. DOT is lower then snell.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't care how much cushioning you do - the body's internal organs can only take so many G's in a sudden stop or direction change.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

That is a messed up response...what a dick!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aszrael1266

its sad that they don't even have to meet snell standords for the usa. They have to meet dot standords. DOT is lower then snell.
not in independant tests.. the problem with DOT is that the companies are expected ot meet the standard but aren't tested unless there is a problem. in the independant tests DOT helmets transfered fewer G's to the user.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: srobak

I don't care how much cushioning you do - the body's internal organs can only take so many G's in a sudden stop or direction change.
thats the point of cusioning, to reduce the G's it surves no other perpose. otherwise all you need is a cast iron lid on your skull. snell foam is too hard, it never bottomed out in any of the test where the G's transmitted to the user would have killed them instantly. meaning the foam in snell helmets doesn't do its job correctly.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Kohburn, so what you're saying is that,statistically,DOT only helmets are better than DOT & Snell helmets?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

thats the point of cusioning, to reduce the G's it surves no other perpose.
I know that. My point was there will come a # of Gs which no amount of cushioning will be able to overcome... or... if there are X number of Gs in one direction, then impact of the lower body with something sends Gs another direction... stuff inside the skull is only going to be able to take so much of that, regardless of helmet... think someone shaking your head back and forth, without any impacting...

Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I wear a pure white hockey helment.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: srobak

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

thats the point of cusioning, to reduce the G's it surves no other perpose.
I know that. My point was there will come a # of Gs which no amount of cushioning will be able to overcome... or... if there are X number of Gs in one direction, then impact of the lower body with something sends Gs another direction... stuff inside the skull is only going to be able to take so much of that, regardless of helmet... think someone shaking your head back and forth, without any impacting...
yep - just saying that snells not doing its job. right idea, poor follow through. the european ECE standard is much better and reducing those g's.

either way. still a tragedy and a very unproffesional responce from a "protector of the public"

Old 04-29-2008, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I would just like to see more people in southern Indiana wear helmets period. I rarely see even sport bikers wearing helmets around here. The Harley guys, I can understand knowing their macho attitudes but you would think people on Hyabusas and sport bikes in general would know better. They look at me like I'm crazy because I wear my helmet. I dont think I'm the crazy one here. And it's not just squids either, I see people in their 40's wearing no helmet. I guess that's just supposed to be cool here.

Quick Reply: Trooper tells caller seeking help for motorcycle accident, 'Too bad