Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

trail braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bluebeast
Hey everyone i was just wondering if any one has some good info on how to trail brake in the corners.
Not recommended in dirt

I washed out on asphalt on my adv doing a trail brake...I really had her leaned over and forward .. getting ready to get on the gas, and I lost traction......I didn't fully loose it...just my line and went straight while saving the bike...nuthin happened except floundering into the swale, besides getting my heartbeat up..but damn....scary.

You want to do this on purpose.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
I washed out on asphalt on my adv doing a trail brake...I really had her leaned over and forward .. getting ready to get on the gas, and I lost traction......I didn't fully loose it...just my line and went straight while saving the bike...nuthin happened except floundering into the swale, besides getting my heartbeat up..but damn....scary.

You want to do this on purpose.
As mentioned in this link provided by zzrick http://motorcyclebloggers.com/tech-t...trail-braking/
"I will also say that planned trail-braking leaves no room for error, especially on the street. I learned it on the track (car & bike) and was able to apply it to the street. It works, but not without an associated risk."

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Not recommended in dirt
Actually it is very useful on dirt as well as on the road if done properly for instance you misjudge a corner and are running wide, you apply LIGHT pressure to the brakes and it will decrease the radius of your turn bringing you back to the correct line. Of course if you are leaned over to the limit of traction you will probably lowside and end up under a truck.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

i leaned to ease in on trail braking.. i try NOT to set myself up to need to brake.. always like running delayed apex and rolling on whilst exiting..

i'll apply both brakes.. front while i'm still vertical, then let off and apply rear a bit and try to equalize braking force across the entire bike.. IF te *** washes out, i can save it 99% of the time.. if the from washes out, i can save it about 60% of the time (true numbers..lol at least for me)

you can do 2 things with heavy front braking.. A. lock it up and lowside, B. grip hard and transfer weight off the *** and make it lowside or set yourself up to highside..

again, i reccomend seting up to accelerate out of the apex, but if you NEED to trail brake, i'll usually (if i don't get a chance to apply front brake before tipping in) apply rear THEN front lightly..

depends on lean angle too.. if you're dragging a knee and you think you're too hot mid-apex, then if you're turning right, its gonna be a bitch to apply rear brake.. you'll throw your weight off while moving around so you can cover the pedal (if you're not, that is..)

then you'll almost be forced to rock the front brake only..

i leaned to ride on dirt and gravel roads as well.. so, i'm used to how the limits of traction feel and where they're at and what i can do to maintain from going past that hairy edge. if it slides, countersteer is second nature. the front is tricky but can be saved in a slide if you're fast enough and can upright the bike in time

Old 12-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I just coast into turns, then mid turn get on the gas and hope the knobbies on the side of the tire dig in and it launches me out....lol.... but i think the sweetest riding is a dirt bike on wet sand you can corner like you wouldnt believe.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

well i figured it out during the class. it was actualy fun to do really. for those that don't understand what trail braking is it's when you stay on the gas and grab a little bit of front and back break in the beging of the turn and slowly le it out as you hit the apex and then roll on the gas out from the apex.
Trust me if you give it to much break going in or to much gas going out it will kick the rear tire out. i did it a couple of times which was cool with me but the instructors in my school said if i did it again they were going to kick me out of the class. i felt like one of those gp riders that kick the rear out when they ride.

but in mostly the class was pretty much what you would learn in a track day school. So i didn't learn to much new other than the trail braking thing.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

why would you stay on the gas and grab brake? counter productive.......

Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

i think it's so the suspension stays loaded and so it doesn't upset the bike through out the whole thing.