Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

THANKS NENA, WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: THANKS NENA, WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR

Deej said it. Wearing gear is a must, but you have to ride smart. I've had 2 friends die this year because they were being stupid, riding too fast. One guy was riding his Gixxer 750 through an intersection doing a wheelie at night. A car turned left, not seeing him because his head light was straight up, hitting him. Frankie was doing about 60 and the car that hit him doing about 25. Frankie had all his gear on, but still got killed. FOR BEING STUPID!!

Tommy got killed doing about 110 one Sunday morning. A car saw him way up the road, had time, turned left. Tommy T-boned the passenger door of the car. Tommy had his gear on, but he got killed. FOR BEING STUPID!!

Now I know we all like to go fast from time to time. Me included. When I'm up in the GA mountains, I'm doing speeds that if I got caught, I would go to jail, lose license, etc. etc.
But I eventually come to my senses and slow down. I am always wearing my gear.

I had a crash back in April. Turning right about 30 MPH, hit something slick, hi sided, hit the road, separated shoulder and concussion. If I didn't have gear on, I wouldn't be here to write this.

I've read that article before about Britany before. She was just a victim of a bad circumstance. But if she had gear on, she probably would have walked away from it.
Glad she is riding again. That would have scared a lot of folks away from riding ever again.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Default What a compelling story!

Everyone's already said what I've been thinking while musing this article. Thank you for sharing.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

All good reminders, its only when we forget or put stuff like that out of our minds that we get into trouble. But there are other forces at work besides our own abilities to ride. Its often other things that come into play. Gear can never be over emphasized, safety courses can teach or hone skills, and experience can have a big part in what happens to us out there. But no matter how good we think we are , or how long we have been riding or if we wear the latest and greatest gear, there is always going to be the guy in a car or truck that just doesn't see us, the slick road, or the plain old fact that we were going too fast for the conditions or our skill level. I didn't really want to post this, but last week I think it was Friday I came to a stop sign and a double trailer lumber truck completely came in my lane and i was forced to stop short and pull to the side of the road. I turned around and followed him to the mill and then thought to myself it wasn't his fault, we have all not seen motorcycles while in a car. We all enjoy this great sport weather on the road, off the road, or a combination of both. There are risks, but then again so is eating at McDonalds. I guess we just have to try our best to control the risks that we can control, and hope we can make it to ride again each season. Take care guys, I'm out of here for a few days up in Vancouver Canada, and won't really be on the forums until Monday or so. Besides I'm sure you all are getting tired of Ole deej. Think of it as a vacation from me.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

You know its great to talk and to finally get all the gear to protect yourself, but I find it funny that nobody talks about the fact that most accidents are the result of going WAY TOO FAST!!!!!! Why is it that people have to ride the way they do, I mean I guess its their life and there certainly is a lack of respect for life these days, but when I see some idiot not only wearing the wrong stuff but doing a wheelie down the freeway at 80 mph, or swerving in and out of cars I can only think to my self what an idiot. Sorry if I offend anyone, but come one people get a clue[:@] Oh and if anyone thinks that it's their life and they can do what they want, well that's true, but when you think about all the people that care about you and the fact that not all accidents involve only the rider but also people in cars with their families, then its really not all about you.[:@][:@]

No offense anyone, I guess I am just thinking more and more about this as my wife just got her endorsement. I'm also glad we live in a one stop light town and only have to do 35 to get to the trails and logging roads here. And yes I know that you can get killed going 10 just as easily as you can doing 120 on the freeway, its all a risk. But by the way you ride, and the gear you wear you can drastically reduce the chances of being seriously hurt or worse.

Take care everyone.
So your saying just cause a mate and me were coming towards each other with a closing speed of 450 km/h one day we are idiots?

Yeah your probably right

[8D]

P.S. thats around 290 mph