Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Taking a leave of absence....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Taking a leave of absence....

Hello all, some of you might remember the guy I told you about that had a heart so big that I will never meet another person like him. He was on the hunting trip last year with us, and he's also the one who you might remember as buying me that Kawasaki drill. Well three weeks ago he flew back by himself to Chicago, and was prepared to live there for up to 2 years waiting for his heart transplant. He had open heart surgery when he was 7, and they told them then that eventually he would need a different heart. He's now 36 and what could have taken up to 2 years suddenly turned into Tuesday night, and he had the transplant. At first the new heart started to beat on its own, but stopped a short time after, they have him on a heart/lung machine and he can actually tell people are in the room, his 12 year old son and his wife and mom and dad and sister are all there now. They said the new heart sometimes after surgery needs to rest after the trauma of being cut on. Its not too uncommon. The doctor has done 600 heart transplants and is the best in the country. The problem is that Danny is tired from all of the time spent with a bad heart, and also I just heard that when the doctor took out his old heart, it just fell apart in his hands, so he said that he wouldn't have lived for 2 more days anyway.

Anyway, I will probably not be on much for a while, and realistically I will never be the same after this. I have only known him for 7 years, but I would trade my life in a second if I could. Please nobody say anything like God needed another angel in heaven, because not only is that not accurate according to the bible, it gives no comfort to those left behind. We all have the hope of seeing him again, not in heaven, but on earth. That's right the bible speaks of a time when all those we care about that have fallen asleep in death will be resurrected to a perfect life on earth, and that is my hope. Death is the fabric that we all have in common, and when I think about all of the petty arguments there have been on this forum, and all the other small things that come up from time to time, it all becomes as if it never happened compared to this. All other interests, all other problems and anything else that seems to be important really becomes so insignificant that you can't even measure it.

Sorry for this, but I guess its all part of the grieving process. And as I sat here at my desk this morning hearing that things are not looking good, I broke down and cried, I guess it finally hit me, and really I'm not sad for him, although I will miss him until then, but its always the people left behind that we grieve for. His wife and his 12 year old son, his mom and dad, his other brother and his sister that will be completely destroyed by all of this. The last time I cried this much was when my Step dad, who was my best friend passed away with Cancer in 1985. Maybe we need a good cry once in a while to make us realize what we have, and to not ever take anything or anyone for granted.

Its just not fair, and its not the way it was meant to be in the beginning. Anyway, sorry for this long post, I try and not ask selfishly that he is going to be OK, but that is how we are made up. If not for me then certainly for his family. We are all so close, as if we are all related, and in some ways even more so that real families. We want to keep those around us close to us. There is nothing wrong with that. I really hope that if all you get out of reading this is that you take the time right now, today to go up to someone you care about and give them a hug, and let them know how you feel, then I didn't waste my time typing all of this. If you can do that for me, then knowing that will help in some way, as weird as that sounds. They might look at you like there is something wrong, but just share why and let them know that you care. That's all.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Taking a leave of absence....

Name:  PA163853.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  94.3 KB

I love you man.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear the news Deej. I am going to pray for him, and for you and all of the people that love your friend.

-Rick

Old 04-24-2008, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I will keep him in my prayers and his family as well and you Deej.
-Claudio

Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

As i was reading it i said a prayer for him and his family and friends bro.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear man...... I wasnt sure, did he pass? or is he still here? sorry it wasnt clear.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry Deej. []

Old 04-25-2008, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats sad deej, life is short and fragile. Most of us do not really appreciate what we have and how quickly it can be gone or destroyed.

Best wishes..... I hope he heals...and quickly.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

sorry about your buddy Deej[&o] hope it all works out for the best[8D]

Old 04-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Sorry about your friend, Deej. I hope he pulls through.

Quick Reply: Taking a leave of absence....