Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Suggestions on a portable generator

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet, I got my tri-fuel kit today. It only took them a month to ship it to me. This will be a perfect garage project over the Christmas break.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Your propane idea is a sound one as long as you store enough to get you through the power outage. I have a small gasoline unit. I keep the fuel tank empty and run it every now and then on a small nurse tank, then drain the carb after the run.
Also some equipment does not like the dirty power from the cheaper units. You probably made a wise buy. Hope you never really need it.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I really like it. The install went pretty smooth, basically just replaced a modified carb with a new one that had an extra fuel line that eventually gets connected to the propane. Way easier then removing my bike's carb.

I noticed it had a similar smog canister and tubes. So I might try and de-smog it, although I don't know what I would gain. So who knows...

My plan is to buy some propane tanks on Craigslist get 'em filled and stick them in the yard. I'm guesstimating I can get 2-days of use per tank. If we learned anything from Sandy, that is we need to have extra fuel on hand for an emergency.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Thanks, I really like it. The install went pretty smooth, basically just replaced a modified carb with a new one that had an extra fuel line that eventually gets connected to the propane. Way easier then removing my bike's carb.

I noticed it had a similar smog canister and tubes. So I might try and de-smog it, although I don't know what I would gain. So who knows...

My plan is to buy some propane tanks on Craigslist get 'em filled and stick them in the yard. I'm guesstimating I can get 2-days of use per tank. If we learned anything from Sandy, that is we need to have extra fuel on hand for an emergency.
Yeah disasters like sandy will teach many lessons. Even though I live in a low disaster area, I keep extra fuel, 2 generators, lot's of long term storage food, and plenty of ammo. Being prepared is like auto insurance, you always pay for it, amd hope you never have to use it. But when you need it you are so glad you have it!