Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

stringsAnyone play guitar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:05 AM
Default stringsAnyone play guitar?

I was thinking about learning to play this summer - nothing serious, just a couple tunes. . . I am familiar with reading sheet music- but have no experience with guitar

any suggestions as to what brand/strings . . . etc? I will probably buy used (i don't want to throw down a bunch of cash)

i feel indifferent towards electric/ acustic so what ever will work

Old 05-10-2007, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: stringsAnyone play guitar?

I went from elec. guitar, to elec. bass, to drums, to acc. guitar, to elec guitar back to acc. hahaha I've got a Taylor now that I love. Dean Markley's Blue Steel strings are usually what I buy, but it'll all come down to personal choice. Some strings are coarse, some are fine, some are deep, some are high. I'd say going to your local guitar shop and pluckin away at a few random guitars & seeing what grabs your attention.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I play the Electric Bass, but the problem is we go 3-4 months between playing and I usually forget everything. I think its time to move on. Besides who has time to play the guitar when your having too much fun riding.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1 on MeansGo's post.
I used the GHS on the schector 7 string and will try some D'Addario nickel wound regular lights on next, the D'Addario's nickel wound on the Ovation 12 string but will try a med phos-bronze set next. Prolly try the reg light /wd 3rd on my hot rodded strat copy and possibly use the same to try out on my Tacoma DR16. A good tone from an accoustic view is sometimes not that great while it is amp'd and vise versa. Another example is that the wound 3rd string will buzz out on my Tacoma because the strings are close to the neck. Strings are cheaper to buy to fine tune than the sound and playing then to replace the nut or adjust the neck. Ok, too long winded

Old 05-11-2007, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I didnt understand a word of that, "Guitar Hero" is the closest I've ever come to playing

Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

+1 on MeansGo's post.
I used the GHS on the schector 7 string and will try some D'Addario nickel wound regular lights on next, the D'Addario's nickel wound on the Ovation 12 string but will try a med phos-bronze set next. Prolly try the reg light /wd 3rd on my hot rodded strat copy and possibly use the same to try out on my Tacoma DR16. A good tone from an accoustic view is sometimes not that great while it is amp'd and vise versa. Another example is that the wound 3rd string will buzz out on my Tacoma because the strings are close to the neck. Strings are cheaper to buy to fine tune than the sound and playing then to replace the nut or adjust the neck. Ok, too long winded
Dude you lost me at GHS

"Ted, while I agree that, in time, our band will be most triumphant. The truth is, Wyld Stallyns will never be a super band until we have Eddie Van Halen on guitar."

"Yes, Bill. But, I do not believe we will get Eddie Van Halen until we have a triumphant video."

"Ted, it's pointless to have a triumphant video before we even have decent instruments."

"Well, how can we have decent instruments when we don't really even know how to play?"

"That is why we NEED Eddie Van Halen!"

"And THAT is why we need a triumphant video."

"EXCELLENT!"

Old 05-11-2007, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Aaaahahhahahahahahaha

Old 05-11-2007, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Undoubtedly Keanu Reeves greatest work

Old 05-11-2007, 04:32 AM