Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Something to avoid!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Something to avoid!

I read this on another forum and thought I would share it with you guys since it could be a safety issue. Sometimes the not so obvious little things can really turn into a wreck. I just want everybody to read and remember this and if it saves one of our members, it was worth the post.

Cargo Nightmare
[hr]

I want to share a not so good situation I experienced while taking a ride to one of our local lakes last weekend. I'm not writing this to gain any sympathy, I just want to share my experience and try to help prevent this from happening to someone else.

While preparing to depart, I attached a 12”x 8”x 6” cordura case to my back seat. I wasn’t carrying much just a few steaks, tooth brush/ paste, comb etc. I secured this case to the stock rear fender brackets and proceeded to run the tie down around the case.
After placing three knots and tugging on the load I was very confident the load was not going anywhere.

I took off and was heading for the freeway, which was only 1.5 miles away. Just prior to getting on the freeway, I double-checked my bag and was satisfied that it was still secure. I entered the freeway and casually merged into the traffic. Our posted speeds are 65 mph but I typically do 10 or more over. At this point you can guess what happened.
The @#(*&# %!* tie down came loose, got caught in my chain/ sprocket and rear brake.
I’ve never in my life ever seen a tire wear a flat spot so bad. The rubber that came off actually fused to other areas of the tire.

Let me tell you, going from 75+ to zero without any rear wheel spin is really messed up. I almost went high side a few times and to this moment don’t know how I stayed on other than not wanting to let go of my baby.

Any way the point I would like to get across is that using tie downs can be very dangerous, even when you’re being careful. I’m going to invest in a good tank bag and avoid using anything that can cause this to happen again.

If this post helps save one life or bike, I’m a happy man.

Ride safe my friends.[/align]