Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Smokers!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Default RE: Smokers!!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: AirmanAllen

Well stated ^
Thank you.

And everyone bear in mind, I tend to be verbose and rant, but I'm not trying to personally attack anyone. I just feel strongly about certain things. I won't subject other people to my smoke, even in my own home if I know they're adverse to it. Some issues, like asthma, s'posed allergies, ect, can't be circumspected. I just don't feel I should be taxed out the wazoo and treated like a second-class citizen when there are so many more harmful things out there in the world, and if I keep it to myself, my personal choice is benign to others.

Heh.
<lights up a Turkish Royal at her desk>

Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with Leena I always go outside to smoke. I don't smoke in my apartment or truck and try to always be considerate such as stand down wind fromnon-smokers when i am outside. I know that smoking is bad for me but i haven't quit yet so I will continue to use my right to smoke until i do quit. At work now we have designated areas outside that i have to go smoke in. Not a problem I can go there but once i'm there and following the rules let me enjoy my death stick. Again JMO.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

When I say "you" in the paragraphs below - I am referring to smokers in general, not any one specific person, so please do not take personal offense to it.

Littering in general is bad. I don't like it when people throw anything out their window - doesn't matter if I am on the bike or in the cage. Smokers tossing butts or flicking ashes out their window I very much dislike - again caged or biked. It is littering, any way you slice it. While doing the volunteer firefighter thing - I responded to more than a handful of fires which were started because someone chucked a butt out the window. You have an ashtray or a pop can in your car... use it. That's my thought. On top of that... I don't much care for smoking in general. My dad is a smoker and he has had a massive heart attack due to his smoking. He learned his lesson for all of three months, then right back at it again.

The way I found out was rather heart breaking too... I was on the phone with him, had just told him that I was about to get married, and he was congratulating me and such and then I heard this telltale sound: (put your finger in your mouth, close your lips around it, then rapidly open them as you are pulling your finger out, creating just a small bit of vacuum. That slight/soft popping sound is what I am referring to)

I heard that sound loud and clear over the phone. A sound I knew all too well, even though I hadn't heard it in many many years since I moved out of my dad's house. I recognized it instantly... the sound a cig makes after you take a puff and pull it out of your mouth.

"Dad... are you smoking?"
"Yeah, a little bit."

Right at that moment... all my happiness and joy about my wedding was gone. All I could think about was less than 6 mos earlier, racing across 4 states at near triple digit speeds because I got the call that my dad was in the hospital and on life support due to a massive heart attack. It was later found that he needed quintuple bypass (that's 5) for double blockages in two arteries, and a single in a third. I remembered getting there, seeing my pop hooked up to all the machines and tubes and ****, and realizing very quickly that this might very well be it for him. Right then - I could have given a **** less about my wedding. My disappointment and memories of those days over-rode anything else I was thinking or feeling.

I left home at 21 (finally). 6 months after I left and started college, I woke up one Saturday, walked outside - and took a huge gulp of fresh air. Smells and tastes I had never experienced before. I was a victim of 2nd hand smoke for those 21 years. It took 6 months of being out of it to rinse it out of my system. It was a whole new world. Today - I cannot even stand it. When I go to visit my dad - there is so much of it in the walls, furniture, carpeting, etc - the stench is just sickening, and I nearly yack just walking in the door. Very, very frequently I will be talking and run out of breath prematurely because of the lack of real oxygen in the air. It is stifling and choking, and very, very obviously purely unhealthy. My first trip back to see my dad after 3 years away was horrible. When I got back to my home, I had to do laundry for the clothes I took with me. I opened the suitcase and was literally knocked down by the stench... and I'm not talking Grundy Undies either. It took FOUR TIMES through the washer and dryer to get the rancid smell out of my clothes. I ended up throwing out the suitcase. Now - about half of the time I visit my dad - I end up in a hotel.... mostly in the winter months when the house is buttoned up. In the summer - I leave my suitcase on the porch and only bring in clothes when I am showering and getting changed for the day. You know how you feel in the winter time when you are running the heat and there is not enough humidity in the house? My dad's place is like that all the time, even with the humidifiers, just from the oxegyn killing nature of the smoke in the air.

Do what you want to do people - but I am telling you how it is from both sides of the fence. I never knew what clean air actually was until I left home.

Now - the driving thing... cig butts are not as biodegradable as some folks would like to believe. Nylon does NOT just dissolve... it might break into smaller pieces and get spread around (what do you do on carpeting when ashes fall on it and you don't want to get the vacuum? Right... you rub it into the carpet. It breaks into small pieces and seems to blend in and go away) Truth is the ashes are still in your carpet, and the nylon and other materials that make up the butts, as well as the poisons, acids, and other chemicals that were trapped in the filter are still in the ground even after the filter breaks up into smaller pieces and blends into the ground. Remember - nylon is a plastic. How many plastics do you know of that you can degrade and break down by washing it or somesuch?

On top of that... you have an ashtray in your car. It is designed for.... yep - you guessed it - your ashes and your cigarette butts, which you can then properly discard in an appropriate trash recepticle at a later time when it is more convenient for you. I believe that if someone choses to smoke, then they should keep that choice to themselves as much as possible. Why do people smoke with the window down? Why do they flick their ashes out the window? Why do they throw their butts out their window? So they don't stink up and dirty up their car. Why? Cause it is nasty and obviously unhealthy. The irony of that situation is mind-numbing, and in truth it doesn't work anyhow. Your car still stinks, and you still have ashes and stuff all around the inside.

My opinion is too bad... if you don't want to dirty and stink up the car - don't smoke in the car. Simple. I don't want you to dirty up, litter up, stink up, and poison the land and air behind you. Even if it is the dead of winter and a cager is behind you - when you roll down your window and blow your smoke out of the car - the car behind you still pulls it into their ventillation system. It still tastes and smells like ****. Just because my windows are up does not prevent that crap from entering my car and twisting the noses of everyone inside. You know how you feel when you are behind a bus at a stoplight even in the winter with the windows up? Well - that's how it feels behind you when you smoke and blow your stuff out the window.

Sorry, that's just the way I feel. You choose to smoke - you keep it to yourself as much as possible. I choose not to, and I have perfectly valid reasons as to why. I choose to breath clean, healthy air as much as possible, and you do NOT get to choose to change that for me.

I feel the same about littering. It is YOUR trash and you will dispose of it properly (this includes cig butts). Keep it to yourself until you can dispose of it properly. I have written tickets for every single person I have seen littering when I was a cop, and the DA had a code he asked us to put on the back of all citations if the person was being a dick, so he could make sure he didn't cut him any slack in court. I put this code on all littering cites I wrote, and the penalty was $1000 fine. After leaving the PD, on more than one occassion I have followed someone after they littered and either given them a thorough tongue lashing in public, or dumped their trash on their windshield, or in their front seat. One time I even left a lit cigarette that a lady chucked before going into a grocery store under her windshield wiper - still burning. I'm a person of principle like that.

The roadside and the world is not your personal trash can. Don't treat it as such.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:32 PM

Side note: I'm also using 'you' as an objective in this post, not a directive.

To Srobrak:

That was beautifully written. You touched a chord in me, as a smoker. I know the damage I'm doing to myself, but I can rub two braincells together and acknowledge it, not deny it. I did not realize how un-biodegradable nylon is. You have given me new information, and I'm taking it to heart. I'm probably still going to keep smoking, but I'll think twice about tossing my litter. I drive a friend's car, and his ashtray is actually missing. That's the only reason I don't use it. I'm right handed, the window is to my left, I'm not ambidextrous, so it's actually a bit difficult for me... I prefer using an ashtray when it is at hand (but one hasn't been for months now). I have a very long commute to work and as a half-pack smoker a day, going that long is a bit difficult for my nicotine starved body. But I may actually try to do without during my commute to/from work knowing what I know now.
I'm very sorry to hear about your father. As a smoker, all I can say is, well, it's a selfish habit, yes, but humans indulge in a plethora of selfish habits that slowly (or quickly!) kill them each and every single day. I should not penalized for my particular vice while others go scot-free. Think about alcohol. How many lives does that destroy? When you're drunk you're drunk, and if you get in a cage, you seriously screw up your own/other people's lives. You kill not just yourself, but others. I'm just expressing the sentiment about those who feel that cigarettes should be outlawed/ect, well, if that's how you feel, you have to look at the other detriments lurking out there. In today's society, that sort of totalitarianism simply won't fly. Yet, smokers are penalized for a 'detriment' that is far below the bar of destruction in comparison to other things. It's that that bothers me, and really gets under my skin. I don't mind suffering the freezing cold or blistering hot to keep my habit away from other people. I don't mind being seperated in bars, ect. I don't mind losing a percentage of prospects in the dating pool because some people won't date smokers on principle, smell, ect. I do mind being taxed above and beyond reason.
Note: I actually purchased one of those window ashtrays for my friend's car, but somehow he melted the top off of it (probably smoked and filled it to the brim, didn't empty, and tried to stuff a lit cherry down into it), and the next one I got for him. By the next time I get paid I probably won't be in a cage anymore, but if I had to be, I'd try to snag another one.
Again, I'm so sorry to hear about your father, Srobak, and you've got my mind gears churning.
You know I admire you, and I'm not blowing off a single vowel or consanant that you've taken the time to type out.
[align=right]Sincerely,
~Leena

[align=left]PS; In summary, what I'm trying to say is that I don't deny cigarettes can be a nasty, 'evil' thing, and that we smokers have a responsibility to keep it to ourselves as much as possible, I'm just canterankerous about the taxation/second-class citizen attitude smokers in general suffer (in leiu of it being 'ok' and 'pc' to indulge in a cornucopia of other detrimental behaviors). Also, I'm a bit saddened by your agenda against smokers. Do you chase down people who throw other litter out of their car, and write your code on their ticket? Do you throw plastics and whatnot in other people's cars? Probably not. It's unfortunate you've had such a sordid history with tobacco, but it's quite dissapointing how you're maliciously targeting one group of people. I generally posess a great respect for cops, and I get angry anytime anyone calls a cop a 'pig', but this is just... saddening to me. This is obviously a case of you losing your objectivity and throwing personal emotives into your work. Please, ease up a bit? (At least check maybe, if that person actually has a viable ashtray in their vehicle. If they do, and they're not using it, I'll say 'Have at, esse!') And in turn, I will tell my smoker friends what information you've given me, so that there may be less butts littered into our world.
[/align] [/align]

Old 01-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry people but if you smoke and think it doesn't bother other people or affect there health, wake up!

It does and it always has and it will continue too. It is perfectly with in your right to smoke and I think you should not be put down about it unless it is affecting other people.

As far as the tax goes it should be higher to cover the cost of us paying for medical of the poor and under insured that get smoking related illness and can't afford to pay for it.

Quit now, you are only fooling yourself when you say I like it and I don't care about getting sick, you will when your dieing a long and cruel death in the hospital. Hopefully we wont be paying for it either.

F-the cigarette companies, its another example of big corporate running the world.

Please as said before this not a personal attack on any one person.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock

Sorry people but if you smoke and think it doesn't bother other people or affect there health, wake up!

It does and it always has and it will continue too. It is perfectly with in your right to smoke and I think you should not be put down about it unless it is affecting other people.

As far as the tax goes it should be higher to cover the cost of us paying for medical of the poor and under insured that get smoking related illness and can't afford to pay for it.

Quit now, you are only fooling yourself when you say I like it and I don't care about getting sick, you will when your dieing a long and cruel death in the hospital. Hopefully we wont be paying for it either.

F-the cigarette companies, its another example of big corporate running the world.

Please as said before this not a personal attack on any one person.
Wow, that was ignorant. I don't have the time to write out a proper response, but it's not smokers who are solely responsible for the high cost of medical care. Have you factored in people who choose to become morbidly obese, people who feign all sorts of 'illness' for disability, indulge in other detrimental habits and man, I probably shouldn't be even touching on the subject of illegals (and I'm not just talking about Mexicans here) who choose to come over here, **** out a kid, take advantage of our system but not pay anything in the means of taxes, healthcare, ect? Quit with your persecution complex already. I totally understand you not wanting smokers to make you suffer for their habit, but I don't agree at all with your blanket statement of smokers escalating the cost of healthcare.
You know what? I'm a young, single white female. I can't get crap in the way of healthcare here in Texas. Because I'm white. Because I don't have a litter of kids. Because I work (albiet blue collar jobs for low pay that people claim white people 'won't work' and that's why we need the illegals omgeee) and I'm not bat**** insane claiming disability. [Though this crap is almost enough to make me go that route.] I pay for others healthcare, food, benefits, ect, and get none of it back. I shell out a couple of hundred bucks just so I can stave away pnumonia, to pay for my previous road rash (that was actually above $1,000), for any injury or incident I may come across, like a fractured toe that happened in the most of mundane of situations... I pay for my dental/femenine care out of pocket, so please, go preach to someone who doesn't know what it's like to actually pay for their own care, full-cost, no benefits, and tell them they can't have their smokes.

As for the 'big corporate' snippet, what are fast food companies? Motorcycle dealerships? Computer companies? Electric/water/other utility providers? Our capitalist society functions on the 'big corporate'.

EDIT: ACK! I'm getting so touchy here. I'm so sorry everyone. Many apologies. I'm just a bit too political and verbose. I'm just a P.W.F. with too much brain for her standing.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

You, leena, should read before you reply I said smoking related illness not that smokers are the cause of all the health care problems.

As far as the rest of your reply, welcome to the club. The rich get richer the poor get poorer and the middle class supports them all.

Any way it was JMO on the subject and its not ignorant at all.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock

You, leena, should read before you reply I said smoking related illness not that smokers are the cause of all the health care problems.

As far as the rest of your reply, welcome to the club. The rich get richer the poor get poorer and the middle class supports them all.

Any way it was JMO on the subject and its not ignorant at all.
I did read, but replied out of impulse, and I'm sorry for the 'ignorant' snap. That was totally uncalled for. And yeap, totally agree with second statement.
Note: I can be a bit brash and impulsive at times, particularly about things I feel very strongly about. If I'm stirring up too much mire in your forum, I can delete my posts. =)

Old 01-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

No sweat leena I to am quick to reply sometimes as well.

I do feel for you though about the health care thing. I have paid my own way for 15 years and now am lucky to have my wifes insurance.

The American cancer society just put a $ amount to the patientswho are sick with cancer. They say that the patient is loosing 8.50 per hour to treat there illness. I thought damn the patient is only worth 8.50 per hour then why does it cost them 200-500 per hour for that treatment. [:'(]

Good news is that they same people reported less cancer related deaths this year then last, the first time ever.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:47 PM

I quit about a week ago .....LOL (pat myself on the back) Toughest thing I have ever done. But yes, I can now smell the smoke on other people and it does make me sick. Believe me I'm not against anyone who smokes (I did so myself for 20 yrs....F**K I'M OLD!!!!) but I agree with Sro, my Dad had a heart attack also and when I call him I can hear that sound and it makes me really mad at him.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smokers!!!!!!!!!