Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Show me your tool....storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Show me your tool....storage

I think there are several of us on here who are mechanical/maintenance/wrench monkeys either by vocation or leisure. Most of us who own or have owned bikes certainly qualify. I'm always interested in tools and storage setups. Mine is certainly nothing exciting; several Crarftsman cabinets in my 2 1/2 car garage (with usually no cars inside!) There's a parts washer and an anvil from my grandfather's old shop. I have some problem with storage of cans, bottles, jugs, 5-gal pails, and the requisite fluids. I do have some upper cabinets I need to purge the unnecessary stuff (extra wire, plugs, connectors) and have waaaayy too many jars of nuts, bolts, screws, nails, I've collected from years of domestic projects. And, of course the variety of ladders, gardening tools, shovels, brooms, axes, etc. Anyone have a good solution for this?
The lighting in my garage is better than the picture shows. This was taken with my old cellphone camera....

Attached Thumbnails Show me your tool....storage-img148.jpg  
Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh boy..glad I didn't answer this one...almost showed the wrong pictures..
Geezz the title was hard to understand..

Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine is at our dealership. Thats where all my tools are. I have a big orange and black Mac Tech series box with wooden top and side protectors. Its almost full so gettin close to adding more storage to it. I call it the halloween box haha. I got a good deal on it so color wasnt a big deal to me. Actually has some famous NHRA driver signatures like Doug Kalita and Ashley Force. Sadly they are wearing off. I mainly buy Mac tools since he gives us the best deal compared to snap on and matco. I will try to get a pic tomarrow. Im sick today! Stupid flu!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey Bleed, sorry to hear you have the bug. Ever tried Wright tools? They are out of Barberton, OH. They make a VERY handy 3/8 drive little socket wrench. I also use USAG tools from Italy. Their distributor is in Texas. The Ferrari and Ducati teams use 'em. (Google both.)
My Gramps was a Snap-On customer back in the 40's and 50's, so I have quite a few of those. I have one of the MAC indycar large box tops (just the flat metal top) hanging up, along with a couple 3' x 5' Bridgestone Motorcycle signs (with the standing lion.) Also have an old phone booth in the garage, I've had since high school; completely functional and lighted. Several fun things I didn't include in the photo... Kenwood 100w/ch amp and tuner w JBL-loaded speakers. A signed Scott Russell AMA champion poster, etc. Maybe that's why I'm in the garage more than the house!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

my suspension box with the snapon box in my office. ( the wife was feeling claustrophobic with everything in the house.)

awesome sticker from cmott

the lift and boxes in the front room.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Hey Bleed, sorry to hear you have the bug. Ever tried Wright tools? They are out of Barberton, OH. They make a VERY handy 3/8 drive little socket wrench. I also use USAG tools from Italy. Their distributor is in Texas. The Ferrari and Ducati teams use 'em. (Google both.)
My Gramps was a Snap-On customer back in the 40's and 50's, so I have quite a few of those. I have one of the MAC indycar large box tops (just the flat metal top) hanging up, along with a couple 3' x 5' Bridgestone Motorcycle signs (with the standing lion.) Also have an old phone booth in the garage, I've had since high school; completely functional and lighted. Several fun things I didn't include in the photo... Kenwood 100w/ch amp and tuner w JBL-loaded speakers. A signed Scott Russell AMA champion poster, etc. Maybe that's why I'm in the garage more than the house!!!
Thanks, im pretty much over it, just need to eat a good dinner. Never heard of wright or USAG. I have a very small MAC 1/4" socket wrench that I rarely use but when needed in tight places works great. I love Matco's socket wrenches. I have their 88 tooth swivel heads that can be locked in different positions. We get the Cornwell guy too but only have a few things from them. Mac is here every week and works with ya on deals and stuff. Snap on is just too damn high and doesnt work with ya. Havnt seen the Matco guy in MONTHS. Heard hes goin out of business. Dont like the Cornwell guy. He whines when you dont buy anything and thats a big way of not gettin my business.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Drag....Your work shop is actually in your house and not in the garage?? Your wife is very forgiving huh?? haha I have a really old air powered motorcycle lift in my area at work. I use it all the time. Has the removable sides for narrow projects and the rear ramp comes off along with the wheel clamp which is never on hardly. I mainly use it for working on mowers and utility atvs. My brother uses it too when hes got a major motorcycle project. He works on more bikes and atvs than I do. I do know that my lift will lift up a 610 kawi mule with no probs. Dont know what my lift is rated at but i've definately put it through its paces. What kind of lift is yours? My bro is wanting one at the shop but doesnt want a real expensive one. K&L makes some good tools for bikes that we can get but their lifts are pricey.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hey BnG,,,the wife got tired of my harley sitting in the kitchen. so we made arrangements and compromises. lol That is what makes a marriage last.....

edit: will need to update some pics now that we are moved (almost). I actually have a tool shed and a barn....whooohooo! This is the lift that I am using. A good lift actually. http://www.directlift.com/ProCycle-XLT-P58C15.aspx

Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Bleed, a bit of history, MAC tools started in 1938 in Sabina, OH, which is just down the road. It was a sad day when the original plant closed a year or two ago, after MAC sold to Black & Decker. Around the same era, the Irwin Tool company (originator of the wood boring auger bit) began in Wilmington. The legend, is that Sam Irwin, a local guy, had an idea for the auger bit. He was a bit of a regular at a local tavern and had a significant bar tab. The owner of the tavern told Sam he would clear his tab if Sam gave him the rights/patent to his auger bit. Sam agreed, but under the stipulation that the bit be called the "Irwin Auger Bit." The rest is history. The main plant in Wilmington was really something to see; 200 ton presses smashing red hot steel and the smell of oil quenching. (My dad worked there for years as a Sup. I remember going thru all the time as a kid.) The plant is also now closed, unfortunately, after being sold several times; Rubbermaid, etc. In the 60's, a train engine got onto the plant siding which had tracks through the plant. The conductor had been hitting the bottle.... He ran the engine and a few cars through the plant and it laid over because he was going much too fast for the siding. There was a night janitor working in the siding/load area at the time. Employees joked that he was still running when he passed Columbus, OH.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

If I showed you guys my tool, you would never feel like real men again

Quick Reply: Show me your tool....storage