Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Seen one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Electronic and computer technology.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

you wouldn't catch me on one of these but you would on this

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/12...c-motorcycles/

Old 07-30-2008, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Nah. Can-Am > T-Rex

Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

i like the t-rex more, mainly cuz its got the daddy ninja motor!!!

the can-am's got a 990CC rotax snomobile motor in it.. the sound cool tho.. but.. t-rex, homey.. wicked machine. they even have a twin turbo kit for one.. i know someone with a t-rex, he's gettin ready to boost it.. lol

sick!

and mynoven.. ya.. electronics is crazy stuff man.. i'm more into electrical distribution, controls, PLC networking and programming, industrial motor controls and robotics... stuff like that..

i've done electronics stuff, and part or working with Siemens PLC systems is that if you're running linear encoders for positional reasons, the germans LOVE "gray code" encoders, as opposed to the standard binary encoders found pretty much everywhere else.. so, on the "vipa" cards used to translate the encoder channels, "B1" and "B3" need jumped and closed to create gray code conversion. 1 and 4 need jumped for binary conversion. thats all old skool stuff there tho..i wanna say the neer pls systems can automatically detect and differentiate channel and signal types.. kinda been out of it learning the machining trade at the moment..

but ya.. electronics is nuts. i still have my tektronix scope and all the stuff i used to fix TVs, VCRs and communications equipment with.. freq counters and generators and all.. good times.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey White, we are in simular fields. I am a BSEE, and just out of college, started out trouble shooting CNC machine tools like Warner and Swazey CNC lathes, and Cincinati Milicron CNC mills.
I also use to repair stereos, TV's, and basically anything with a circuit board in it. I have got pretty rusty though because for the last fifteen years, I have been an Engineering Manager for a large construction company, but it pays a lot better than anything else I have done.
When I first got into construction as a electrical field engineer, I also worked on VFD,s and PLC's, mostly Allen Bradley, with some Seimens and Square D in the mix.
I also have extensive experience in high, and low voltage distribution, and industrial controls as well as DCS systems, and process instrumentation.
Oh well, didn,t mean to write a resume, but find it intresting that we have been down very simular roads.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

lol.. ya man, for the last 8 months, i've been working with Fadal CNC 3 axis achines, and a pair of crunchy old fanuc-controlled takasawa V2E's.. the V2E's suck tho.. they're just spooky.

i like Haas and fadal, never ran a cinci yet..

when i was an EE at pavestone, my primary job was Siemens PLC repair, troubleshooting and maintenance. we also had telemecanique altivar drives on almost everything. what wasn't an altivar was some crazy german drive i can't recall..

what sucked about the seimens stuff is that they were almost all old *** S5 modles written in statement list.. which, was written in turn in GERMAN. ya.. i can't read german, so troubleshooting was a blast.. lol

the robot was fanuc 410iB that wasn't too bad to work on.. servos were about 10 grand a piece tho..lol and it was a 3 axis. the verticle axis motors were paired as well, so that meant $20 G in replacements had they gone out..

eveerthing else not block-making related was run off A-B slick 500's.. which i hd cut my teeth on in the "can" industry as a programmer and controls engineer. i worked at a plant (right after getting my degree) that made fuel and oil filter shells for most of the filter companies today.. much like VCRs.. theres onl like 4 or 5 manufacturers of VCRs.. just EVERYONE has their own little special version they buy and have made custom.

same with these shells.. Wix, purolator, fleetgard, and a rack of others all used THE SAME cans for their filters. same with H.V. capacitors like found on motor starters and microwave ovens. we made those, too.

but i had fun there.. hot *** yummy mommys and a few lil prostitots were there, and there was a full fab and welding shop, and a full machine shop there.. thats where i learned machining and welding, even tho it wasnt my job.. it came in handy later as for the nect 4 years, i did nothing BUT fab work and machining at a paper mill.
when i move to Nc, i'll start up another EE and contracting biz i think in addition to the bike shop.

i miss it, actually.. kinda been out of it for about 9 months now, other than my own commercial contracts i hold with warehouses and such around here.. tomorrow morning actually, i gotta go "tune" a breaker for a pump. i could write a book on the ******** who did the wiring in this building..

i wouldnt have entrusted them to hook up some boombox speakers to a stereo..

they were THAT bad.. like the kids in the office bending conduit.. lmao..went to go put it in the ceiling, and the 90 was 180 out, facing the wrong way!! dumbass.. lol.. he had tocut it and couple it to salvage the pipe.. well,thats what I told him to do, since i was kinda undercover supervising the build for the site owner.. ya.. bunch of jokers.

CNC stuff is fun tho.. that robotics stuff lkills me man. i love watchin it do its thing.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

paint it red and that looks a lot like the electric motorcycle from Akira

Old 07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

lmao.. it does

Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I would paint it to look like it came out of some 80's RoboCop/RunningMan-style movie. Looks like a large version of PowerWheels.