Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Scary Riding Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Scary Riding Experiences

What was the scariest thing that has ever happened to you on a bike. If you have been riding even two years, you have probably had a scare and hopefully that's all.

My Scare,

I usedto go to a lake road that had a long earth dam and run my old LTD out every now and then. There was never any cops out there, the closest thing to a cop was the occasional corp of engineers park ranger type in a painfully slow Dodge pickup..........easy to lose!
One night I rode out to the dam to see what the old Kaw would do. It was a really dark night with no moon showing at all. The whole world seemed pitch black.
I started out at the east end of the dam and let the hammer down. I was up toaround 120 mph when the headlight fuse blew.
Now imagine going 120, narrow road, corrugated gard rails on both sides and huge rocks known as rip rap on both sides beyond the guard rails. Those rocks would have been like a giant meet grinder if I had left the road.
When the lights went out, I could not see a thing because my eyes were trying to adjust to the sheer darkness.
All I could do was to just ease into the breaks and hope like hell that I was going straight. It seemed like forever until I dropped most of the speed, and my eyes had adjusted to the dark.
As I was slowing down I felt my right leg brush one of those guard rails. I don't know why but I have been almost ran down by a eighteen wheeler and it didn't scare me as bad as this incedent.

Tell us about yours..............Worlok14

Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Scary Riding Experiences

Last summer a car tried forcing me into V shaped guardrail that noses the concrete division between the exit ramp from the interstate while trying to exit. The plastic cover that goes over it brushed my pantleg as I threaded between it and the car with absolutely no room on either side. With all the crazy, stupid or fun stuff I may have done even on purpose over the years, and the close calls I had due to stupid cagers - that was by far the scariest... doing about 60 up an off-ramp while this jackhole decides to pass on a one-lane exit, and force me to the left. His mistake was not making sure I hit the wall... he went to jail.

It doesn't get a lot closer than that... at least for me. The fact that I felt it hit my pantleg tells me it was certainly WAY too close. I think I soiled myself that night. Another few inches to the left, and it would have been head on...

This is the thing I am talking about... see the metal part - now look to the left where it becomes plastic... that is what hit my pantleg as I brushed down the right side of it... :|

Old 04-08-2008, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine is not as exciting as you guys...being a dirt rider..sure I've had the close head on's with bikes and quads but nutin scared me like this. I was in Costa Rica on a rental bike, first day no less. It was only 400cc. I was on a two lane highway scootin passin folks and I got caught passing an 18 wheeler without enough time to back off behind him or get in front of him (total lack of power and stupidity on my part) and another 18 wheeler was square in my sights comin right at me. I tucked the rental bike under the trailer just behind the main drive tires of the cab...ya know what I'm saying right...and slid off the seat a little so I could get under the 18 wheeler a little more...my helmet tapped the trailer a couple times on that one. Obviously the other 18 wheeler passed by without contact....but that was damn close.

Didn't pass a truck in costa for the rest of the trip.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

that's some crazy movies action right there! that would've been scary.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Probably when I laid down my Honda Dual-Sport because I was going to fast for the curve coming up. I was just a stupid teenager at the time, so as soon as I got up, I went right back to being invincible.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Mullet - that is officially, 100% the CRAZIEST stuff on a bike I have heard... I don't know if I should bow before you - for having pulled it off, and plant my foot up your *** for even thinking to try it! hahaha yes, I know you had no option - but DAYUM... think about the position a guy has to be in where he VOLUNTARILY says - Im gonna tuck under this trailer right here...

Old 04-08-2008, 06:36 AM
1st Gear Member

One time I was riding home and I was going to be late for dinner. I took the backroads through the forbidden forest, that is so dark and mysterious that no light can penetrate its treetops.

Suddenly I was ambushed by a swarm of Samurai.

I went into evasive maneuversand nearly escaped when one of them fired an RPG at me. It hit the dirt beside me sending me and my KLX flipping through the air.

I managed to land on my feet through my many years of being a ninja, and was able to fend them off with my bare hands, again from my training.

My bike was flooded so i strapped it to my back and made way out of the forest through the tree tops. The bike was heavy but I dug deep.

I finally managed to get home in the nick of time for tacos. I love tacos. Almost missed them, THAT was scary.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow.... I think you've been hanging around Warlock for too long!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 AM
1st Gear Member

oh... sorry, I meant Worlock.[8D]

Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

lol.... stellar, at the first pic i was like,,, wow... thats cool.... ya had me goin.... lol....

I havent really had any close calls like that, at least nothing that close yet. A few minor things but they cant compare to these stories on here...

Quick Reply: Scary Riding Experiences