Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

RIP Anita Zaffke - killed by woman polishing her nails

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RIP Anita Zaffke - killed by woman polishing her nails

I am attending a memorial ride to the funeral service from the county courthouse tonight.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...p49qs7zdfiy0yw

Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sorry man.....take care. Ride safe...

Old 05-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i heard this on my local forum. geez people need to pay attention

Old 05-07-2009, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

While it has the bike community in an uproar - it isn't even about not seeing the bike. She was stopped at a RED LIGHT which was not seen either. Imagine if there were some kids crossing the street.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a memorial ride from the Lake County Courthouse to the funeral home for the visitation this evening. Got this from the woman's son:

My mother, Anita Zaffke, was killed Saturday May 2, 2009 at 5:45PM just north of Lake Zurich, IL. She was stopped at a red light and was hit by Lora L. Hunt of Morris, IL who admitted to the police that she was painting her nails and didn't see my mom until after the collision. My mother was killed by someone else's reckless vanity. We need full prosecution for this offense. We need stricter reckless vehicular homicide legislation. Too many drivers are multi-tasking. Too many are oblivious to their reckless decisions. Too many good people are dying.

Our family would be truly honored if any of my mom's fellow riders would like to attend her funeral services and show support for motorcycle safety and awareness.

Ahlgrims Funeral Home (Lake Zurich, IL)
Visitation (wake) - Thursday 5/7 between 3pm & 9pm
Funeral Service - Friday 5/8 @ 10am

If you cannot attend but would like to support our cause. Please write or call the Lake County States Attorney, your local & state Representatives & Senators to express your disgust over the current state of affairs.

Greg Zaffke II

And also got this regarding the ride:

There is a public awareness motor cycle ride to honor Anita Thursday evening.

It is leaving from the southern Lake County Traffic Court House on rt60/83 at Diamond Lake Road at 5:45pm. The route will be 83S to 22W to S Buesching Rd to her wake.
Going in is optional.
This is for motor cycles only.

The cost is your time, as you care. And if you would like to bring something, bring black fingernails.

AND YES I just spoke to Fox News they will be at the courthouse on thursday, SO LETS SHOW if you care.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

That is just so sad. I wish I was there so I could take the memorial ride!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

People are riding in from further away than you are It's gonna be an enormous turnout.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Story on Fox of the ride and wake... http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/biker_rally_own

Pix from the ride... sorry if the commentary doesn't make a lot of sense - it is from a post I made on our chicago based board...

Before the ride prayer

All my pix are at the wake - no chance to dig out the camera at the courthouse before we were rolling. There were mostly HDs there, a handful of Wings, maybe a couple dozen sport-tours, and a few other scattered sportbikes. News reports 200 bikes... from my times going from the back towards the front to block at intersections I would guess closer to 400 were on the ride.

Everyone from CR also met with the son who had originally sent out the invites and such and extended our condolences, Dave did so on behalf of the entire site.

Let's hope and pray that this is not the end of this particular situation, and that it also helps to make cagers more aware not only of bikes - but of focusing on driving while going down the road.

A sad reason to have a ride and get together for sure... but with that in mind, it went fairly well.

Byron Harlan was there - listened to a lot of people and seemed genuinely interested - I overheard him at one point say "we are on your side with this". Aside from photogs he and his camera guy were the ONLY media present... likely it was a Fox exclusive story, at least from the TV side.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

looks like a good turn out. Nice pics Sro.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

what a horrible and needless accident. I would of liked to of made the ride as well, but I am glad someone from this site was able to go.

Quick Reply: RIP Anita Zaffke - killed by woman polishing her nails