Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Riding Safe, Is Riding Smart...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Default Riding Safe, Is Riding Smart...

Hey all you ****** and newbS out there! Well, again, I have been MIA, but now I'm here. I juSt returned from Louisiana and Texas. I took 7 kids with me on vacation (???) from Indianapolis, to Louisiana, then on down to Texas. Actually the trip down was cool, no problems. It is HOT AS HE11 down in LA and TX though. Hotter in the Lou though by far.

Anyway, on my way home, I was on I57 Northbound and unfortunately was witness to a horrific bike accident. The guy on the bike was a seasoned rider, but made a mistake and nearly paid with his life for it. Right now, he is in the St. Louis University Medical Hospital in a coma. He broke all bones in his face (no helmet) and had a few other injuries. The most serious ofcourse is the severE head injury he sustained in the crash.My heart dropped to the floor as I watched this play outin slow motion on the highway. Fortunately, the traffic stopped and there were noother injuries out there. I have been in contact with his wife and she has updated me on him.......not looking good.

This post is simply to say, guys and gals, please be careful out there and although it's freaking hot and uncomfortable, think about some sort of a lid even if it's a shorty. Some protection is better than none. His scarf, offered no protection to the pavement at all. If there areany Illinois riders out here that maybe saw the accident, or know the people, please say a prayer for him and his wife. Thanks for listening everyone, sorry to be a Friday bummer, but it really affected me seeing this happen right in front of me.

As a side note..........THANKS EVIL! TAKE A LOOK IN YOUR INBOX.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Riding Safe, Is Riding Smart...

Don't be a squid- Wear your lid!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:24 PM

Thanks Rocket, means a lot to have that support. IL has no helmet laws, same as IN, but bad hair and all, I gotta put mine on every time I get on my bike.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

GA does have helmet laws, but I wear mine no matter where I am or how hot it is.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:00 PM

In traveling in the south on my bike, I seem to have noticed that a lot of the southern states actually enforce a helmet law. I would vote for one in IN myself.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I always wear my lid, and I wish everyone would.But Iwould never-ever vote for a law making it mandatory.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

WV enforces this law but even if we were allowed not to wear a lid,,, not for me Im not goin to be a squid so ill were the lid..

Thanks toad. I know it sux but I belive its stories like these that makes the other guys think twice about being safe.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zzrick

I always wear my lid, and I wish everyone would.But Iwould never-ever vote for a law making it mandatory.
+1

Old 06-27-2008, 04:20 PM

I can certainly see your point Rick, I jsut want people to be safer on the roads on these machines. They aren't to be taken lightly and too many of us riders get too comfortable. Like people that are too comfortable in 4 wheelers and think it's a "good" idea to text and drive at the same time. IMO, not so smart.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Agreed, nice to see ya around toadster

Quick Reply: Riding Safe, Is Riding Smart...