Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Relay for life

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Relay for life

Hey guys, I just wanted to share more of my weekend than just the drag races and car show. On Friday and Saturday we had the annual Relay for life cancer walk. Its held at the high school track and is a really good time to reflect on those we have lost or to support those who have survived Cancer. I went to the talent part of the walk last year, but this year we stayed after dark and they shut off all the lights, and all around the track were bags with candles lit in each one. Every bag represented someone who lost the battle or someone who beat Cancer, it was a very sobering thing to see. Sometimes we get so busy with life that we forget about those who have been affected by this awful disease. All of us have either lost someone or at the very least know someone that has been affected in this way. I just wanted to share a moment that meant something more to me that just music.

Last year out small town of 4,000 raised $50,000 for the Relay for life Cancer Cure. Here is a picture of my friends that drove 4 hours to play for a while.

A moment of silence and all of the bags were lit and it was really quiet for 20 minutes.

Every bag, and I didn't count them, but I would guess there were 2-300 represented those affected.

Well that's it, I guess I just wanted everyone to think about what they have. In doing so it keeps us humble in remembering what others have lost....[sm=youreright.gif]

Stay tuned for one more report from the drag races. Lots of good pictures.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Relay for life

[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-06-2007, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice work...there is something about smaller towns thatwe've never hadin the suburbs.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

right on deej. how many laps did you walk??

Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hoedogg

right on deej. how many laps did you walk??
I didn't get sponsored, but next year I am definitely going to do it. Most people go to local merchants and try to get sponsored, so much money for each lap, but a guy I know said his wife had a great idea, she mailed cards to all the family members she could think of, which was like 100, and they each sent money back, she made over $1500.00 in donations toward the benefit. What a cool idea huh? Hey wait a minute, I know I've joked about all you guys sending me donations so I could buy another bike, but can you imagine if everyone on here did send like $5.00? There are something like 6,000 members, I'm just saying.....I know there are a lot of trust issues here, but what a great idea. Anywaynext year maybe I'll have pictures of me walking,.........I wonder if they would let me ride the KLX around the track. No I would be mowing kids and old ladies down, that wouldn't be good. They they would have to have a benefit for the hospital bills, and my bail, that sounds like a lot of extra work.[8D] Anyway I'll let you guys know what happens.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

your right next year ask here for donations i bet you'll be suprised on how much people would want to help. but you can't use the klx[>:]..lol

Old 08-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

your right next year ask here for donations i bet you'll be suprised on how much people would want to help. but you can't use the klx[>:]..lol
Actually I thought of an even better idea, that would keep it all on the up and up. Bank of America account fund forwarding. I could talk to the local bank. They do it all the time for people that have local needs or have lost everything in a fire or some other disaster. They set up an account number and any bank can forward money to that account even if its not a Bank of America. I'll let you guys know. I have a year to work out the details. I'm excited, I could even make a banner to hang at the walk advertising the site, and letting everyone know what an awesome bunch of guys you all are. I gotta go, I got something in my eyes againand they are getting all misty.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

don't get all sappy on us now...lol but the account fund thing is a good idea[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-06-2007, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 , Ill give ya what I can afford for a good cause

Old 08-06-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif] yeah we can try to sponsor you Deej ...............I'd be willin .........

anybody else ????????????????

Quick Reply: Relay for life