Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Personal WebPage Setup, Need HELP! (Not talking about Myspace)

Old 11-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Personal WebPage Setup, Need HELP! (Not talking about Myspace)

Mark It all depends on how big your website is. What I mean by that is if you hold a lot of pictures in your website then the one page could be huge. The html itself is pretty small it is all the images or video that you embedd in the html that makes the size of the website grow. So you can have multiple web pages on one server just make sure that you stay under the size limit that your ISP gives you. otherwise they tend to charge you out the @$$.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

I'm surprised we have such knowledgeable computer ppl here. Say that if I learn to use html, if I want to design my own personal website (not a single web page) are there ways to get a website going for free, or at little cost? I see that all the providers out there will give you a free page, but that's only a single page right?
My job title = computer nerd (good thing i hate computers)...

There are definately plenty of hosting companies that give you a sh!ton of space for a relatively inexpensive cost.

just an example:
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosti...?se=%2B&ci=260

your other option is to host it yourself, but with most cable companies, you'll need to upgrade to business class to open the right ports so that people can view your site. This does have an expensive initial cost since you'll need to buy all the equipment yourself.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pangerang

There are definately plenty of hosting companies that give you a sh!ton of space for a relatively inexpensive cost.
Agreed but once you hit the limit they will either increase your payments by a bunch or just not give you any more space.

just an example:
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosti...?se=%2B&ci=260
I use them for my domain name and it was pretty cheap.

your other option is to host it yourself, but with most cable companies, you'll need to upgrade to business class to open the right ports so that people can view your site. This does have an expensive initial cost since you'll need to buy all the equipment yourself.
Not always. www.DynDNS.com can help in this area. I am using this in conjunciton with godaddy.com and have not had any issues as of yet.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigO

Not always. www.DynDNS.com can help in this area. I am using this in conjunciton with godaddy.com and have not had any issues as of yet.
The problem is ports and not dynamic ips. For example, OptOnline blocks port 80, 8080, 25 and some others. So unless the specific port is specified, the web page won't appear.

But this is a bit advanced for someone who's just learning HTML. Stick with the hosting companies options.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigO

The problem is ports and not dynamic ips. For example, OptOnline blocks port 80, 8080, 25 and some others. So unless the specific port is specified, the web page won't appear.

But this is a bit advanced for someone who's just learning HTML. Stick with the hosting companies options.
True. hoever it is something to think about as you get better. Also DynDNS can do port redirection so when they hit port 80, 8080, or 25 it can be redirected to a port you are listening to on your machine.

Just a few things to think about.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hey mark is this going to be a **** site your starting???? if so maybe firstninja can bring us some of his midgets......lol

Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Mark You get the stuff figured out yet?

Old 11-22-2006, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I've looked at some of those html help pages, but I haven't tried starting my own page yet. I need to find more time to educate myself in this subject. Sounds like another good winter project.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:15 PM

I taught myself HTML when I was 12-13, using various self-help sites out there. There are metric asstons to be found, just google "html tutorials". I prefer using written HTML in file manager on a free site such as geocities.
Thus far, I have despised any of the given website builders out there... I find them more convoluted and constraining than taking the few hours to learn some code myself. (Bear in mind the website I have on my profile is not indicative at all of what I'm capable of--it's a lazy, quick, five minute fabrication. I tend to apply my energy and typing to forums or livejournal now )
It all sounds complicated, but once you've got the basics down, you can acheive a plethora of designs within 10-14 minutes. Granted, Geocities has limits, but the file manager and upload system are so horribly simple that I prefer it over any other host out there. Albiet there is a small advertisement on the right-hand corner of your screen, but it allows for your visitors to minimize it, as opposed to the annoyance of pop-ups and top-screen banners. I can PM/e-mail you some HTML basics if you want to go that route...

[align=right]~Leena Rosen
[/align]

Old 01-05-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I've temporarily lost the ambition to make a webpage of my own. It's still something I would like to do, but not until I quit being lazy.

BTW Leena, I checked out your geocities page. It's not what I was expecting to see. LOL...
But I like your "motorcycle gear"!